This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7553 / 51°45'19"N
Longitude: -1.2606 / 1°15'38"W
OS Eastings: 451131
OS Northings: 206549
OS Grid: SP511065
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.S4M
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.34DQ
Entry Name: Taylor Institute the Ashmolean Museum
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047111
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245853
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary Magdalen
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ST GILES' STREET
The Ashmolean Museum
and the Taylor
SP 5106 NW 5/523A 12.1.54.
Includes No 41 Beaumont street.
The combined building housing the Taylor Institution and the original "University
Galleries" (now incorporated as the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archeology)
occupies the site on the corner of St Giles's Street and Beaumont Street.
It was built in 1841-45 to the Neo-Greek designs of Charles Robert Cockerell
in Bath (Box Ground) stone on a plinth of Permian sandstone with the columns,
pilasters and entablatures of Portland stone and decorations in terra-cotta.
The Taylor Institution forming the East wing was founded, built and endowed
by Sir Robert Taylor. The Ashmolean Museum, forming the central range and
the West wing, has been altered and extended in 1892-5, 1900, 1908, 1923-8,
1933 and 1937-40. The most recent of these extensions (1939-40) giving a
farther frontage on Beaumont Street was built in Clipsham stone for the rusticated
ground floor, with Bath (Monks Park) stone for the upper storeys, to the
design of E. Stanley Hall.
Listing NGR: SP5113506540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings