This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7103 / 51°42'37"N
Longitude: -1.0689 / 1°4'7"W
OS Eastings: 464431
OS Northings: 201696
OS Grid: SP644016
Mapcode National: GBR B13.LLC
Mapcode Global: VHCY4.F89Q
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047529
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246770
Location: Great Haseley, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Great Haseley
Built-Up Area: Great Haseley
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Haseley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT HASELEY GREAT HASELEY
5/4 Church of St. Peter
Church. c.1200, c.1300, early C14 and C15. Chancel restored 1897 by Thomas
Garner. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile and copper
roofs. Four-bay aisled nave with chancel, west tower, south porch and chapel to
north of chancel. Early-Decorated chancel has three 2-light traceried windows
each side between deep buttresses, and east window of 5 lights with a rose in
the tracery, probably renewed. Steeply-pitched roof rises above nave and aisles.
North chapel in plain Perpendicular style with a 3-light east window. South
aisle has frequent buttresses, a 3-light Decorated east window and two 3-light
windows of uncusped tracery east of the porch. West of the porch and in the west
wall are 3-light Perpendicular windows. Low, plain porch with a high-level
oak-framed window across the top of the west wall containing 4 leaded lights.
The east end of the north aisle is late Perpendicular, probably a chantry, and
has a 3-light east window and, in the north wall, a 3-light window and a small
doorway, both with Tudor arches. The plank door is ancient. To west, small
3-light window with mouchettes, a Decorated doorway with ancient plank door and
a further 2-light Decorated window with reticulated tracery, similar to that in
the west wall. The C15 square-headed clerestorey windows each have two
cinquefoiled lights. 3-stage C15 tower with large diagonal buttresses has a
crenellated parapet, 2-light traceried belfry openings and a deeply recessed
3-light west window. The elaborate re-set early C13 doorway has an arch of 3
richly-moulded orders and dogtooth ornament on shafts with stiff-leaf capitals.
Interior: Chancel is complete and very fine, with a carved stone vine cornice
and moulded rere arches and hoods to the windows. There is an elaborate group of
piscina, triple-sedilia and tomb recess, all richly cusped and separated by tall
panelled pinnacles. The floor is of coral and grey marble. The Transitional
chancel arch springs from corbels. The east bay of the nave is Perpendicular but
the rest is Transitional with embryo stiff-leaf capitals on cylindrical piers.
C15 oak roof of 7 bays with curved bracing to the tie beams. South aisle has
three cinquefoiled tomb recesses with pierced cusping, a piscina with nodding
ogee canopy, and a canopied image niche to the south of the altar. A sizeable
collection of C14 floor tiles of many patterns is set into the walls at the west
end. The north-east chantry contains a Tudor-arched tomb recess. The south porch
protects the fine C13 doorway with 2 orders of roll moulding and dogtooth
ornament, and an ancient plank door with simple early C13 crescent hinges. The
porch has an old 5-sided coupled-rafter roof. Stained glass of the C19 and early
C20 in the south aisle and chancel. Fittings include a Jacobean octagonal pulpit
with baluster legs, 2 late-medieval chests and a plain stone tub font. Monuments
include brasses dated 1444, 1495 and 158i plus various fragments, 2 medieval
stone coffins, C13 tomb slab with a foliated cross, two C13 effigies of knights,
one mutilated the other well preserved with sword and crossed legs, and a large
early C16 table tomb in the north-east chantry (but formerly in the chancel)
with panelled sides, heraldry and a black marble top, said to be of Sir William
Barrendyne. Wall monuments include an elaborate Baroque cartouche to Revd. John
Whistler (died 1720) and various plainer C18 tablets, The north chapel, visible
through a former chancel window contains a large white marble Baroque monument
to George Blackall (died 1709) who is commemorated with a bewigged bust under
gilt-edged draperies framed by Ionic columns supporting an open and broken
segmental pediment containing an heraldic cartouche flanked by trumpeting
cherubs. It is signed "I. Piddington" (John Piddington of Oxford).
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.618-201 Kelly's Directory: 1924).
Listing NGR: SP6442601696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings