This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.753 / 51°45'10"N
Longitude: -1.1247 / 1°7'28"W
OS Eastings: 460518
OS Northings: 206391
OS Grid: SP605063
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z9.4GK
Mapcode Global: VHCXX.G68J
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246627
Location: Holton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Holton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Holton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
6/107 Church of St. Bartholomew
Church. Late C12, early C14 and C15, restored 1844. Limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings; old plain-tile roof. Cruciform plan with west tower, south porch and
vestry. Chancel has a cusped lancet to north and south, a 2-light C14 window in
the south wall, and a rebuilt east wall of 1868 containing a 3-light window with
Reticulated tracery. C15 rebuilt south transept has square-headed windows of 2
and 3 ogee lights, and there are 3-light C15 windows in the south and north
walls of the nave. C12 north transept retains a small round-headed opening and
has a cusped lancet in the north gable wall. Medieval belicote on nave gable.
The 3-stage C15 tower has 2-light traceried belfry openings below a plain
parapet, a 2-light west window with Perpendicular tracery, and a west door with
cusped recessed spandrels under a label. The porch, dated 1845, shelters a fine
Transitional doorway with chevron and dogtooth ornament. Interior: Simple C12
piscina in chancel; Transitional arches to chancel and transepts, all with
traces of early painted decoration; 7-canted plastered roofs to nave and
transepts with C15 moulded tie beam in nave. Fittings include a C17 communion
table. Fragments of C13 grisaille glass in chancel; fragment of early stained
glass in north transept; west window has C16 armorial light; east window 1868 by
Powell. Monuments include brasses to 2 William Bromes (died 1461 and 1599); wall
monument to John Brome (died 1558) of alabaster with obelisks flanking a painted
achievement; armorial brasses to two C17 Whorwoods in chancel floor; C18 and
early C19 marble wall monuments to members of Schutz family in north transept.
The earlier William Brome is reputed to have been responsible for the C15 work.
Listed Grade I on account of relatively-complete medieval fabric plus interior
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.649-50).
Listing NGR: SP6051906395
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings