This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7203 / 51°43'13"N
Longitude: -1.2227 / 1°13'21"W
OS Eastings: 453788
OS Northings: 202684
OS Grid: SP537026
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZK.3PD
Mapcode Global: VHCY1.R1F1
Entry Name: Lawn Upton House
Listing Date: 23 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047635
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246519
Location: Littlemore, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4
Civil Parish: Littlemore
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Littlemore
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 50 SW LITTLEMORE SANDFORD ROAD
SP/57 Lawn Upton House
House in Gothic style C1846; built for Charles Crawley (Crawley Coat of Arms over
oriel window). 2 storeys H plan, the wings on the north side added by W Herschel
in the later C19. Coursed, squared limestone rubble with freestone dressings. Tiled
roof with coped gables and multiform ashlar ridge stacks. Coped, gabled dormers.
Casement windows with mullions and glazing bars. 1st floor oriel window to south wing.
Octagonal staircase turret in corner between main range and south wing. Arched doorway
with panelled door. The site has associations with John Henry Newman who proposed to
found a monastic house here before his conversion to Rome in 1845.
Listing NGR: SP5378802684
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings