This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6875 / 51°41'15"N
Longitude: -1.2007 / 1°12'2"W
OS Eastings: 455354
OS Northings: 199055
OS Grid: SU553990
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZZ.38J
Mapcode Global: VHCY2.4VM6
Entry Name: 5 and 6, A423
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048043
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248312
Location: Nuneham Courtenay, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Nuneham Courtenay
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Marsh Baldon with Toot Baldon and Nuneham Courtenay
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
NUNEHAM COURTENAY A423
SU5599 (West side)
9/75 Nos.5 and 6
Pair of cottages. Mid C18, extended C20. Brick in Flemish bond with some flared
headers; timber framing with brick infill; old plain-tile roof with brick stack.
2-unit plans extended to rear. One storey plus attic. 2-window cottage fronts,
in chequer brick with dentil eaves course and segmental arches, have 2-light
plank-shuttered casements flanking central windows which replace former
doorways. Cottages have 2 gabled dormers each, and share a central stack. Right
gable is timber framed. Left gable is rebuilt and wall returns to 2-storey C20
extension. Interiors not inspected. Part of the estate village built c.1760 for
the 1st Earl Harcourt.
(M. Batey, "Nuneham Courtenay, an Oxfordshire C18 deserted village", Oxoniensia
Vol.33, 1968, p,1081.
Listing NGR: SU5535499055
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings