This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7066 / 51°42'23"N
Longitude: -1.341 / 1°20'27"W
OS Eastings: 445631
OS Northings: 201073
OS Grid: SP456010
Mapcode National: GBR 7Y2.XDN
Mapcode Global: VHCXZ.PCXL
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 9 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048397
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249538
Location: Besselsleigh, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Besselsleigh
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Besselsleigh
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BESSELSLEIGH FARINGDON ROAD
SP4501 (North side)
10/40 Church of St. Lawrence
Church. Early C12, with early C14 and C15 alterations. c.1632 for William
Lenthall, Speaker of House of Commons, and 1788 for William John Lenthall.
Uncoursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof. Nave and chancel. Late C13
three-light trefoil-headed window. 4-bay south wall: three C15 cinquefoil-headed
2-light windows and 3 restored offset buttresses; narrow C13 pointed chamfered
priest's door in second bay from right; gabled early C17 porch has wide
cusp-chamfered arch, and C19 timber-framed side walls on brick and limestone
plinths; early C12 plain round-headed doorway frames ancient plank door which
has two C12 strap hinges and crescent at top. North wall has 3 restored offset
buttresses: similar C15 two-light window and an early C14 two-light Decorated
window flank rood-stairs projection with slit-light. West gable has late C13
three-light trefoil-headed window, and twin bellcote of 1632 (V.C.H.). Interior:
cinquefoiled rere-arch to east window. Late C19 reredos. Late C13 trefoil-headed
piscina: early C12 pillar piscina has decorated stem and scalloped capital:
early C17 parish chest has panelled door, hinged lid and is set on wooden
wheels. Chancel floor has marble floor tablet to John Lenthall (d.1681), and a
set of early C17 floor tiles with quatrefoils. C15 brattished cornice to
plastered chancel roof. Tympanum of 1632, with carved oak pendants, has painting
of angels holding Lenthall arms over inscription which reads: "THIS CHURCH WAS
RESTORED IN THE YEARE 1632/AND ALSO REPAIRED BY THE HONOURABLE WILLIAM LENTHALL
ESQR:/MASTER OF THE ROLLS IN THE YEARE 1657". Nave has unusual mid C17 font,
with small garlanded bowl "set on round stem with bands of rocky rustication"
(Pevsner). Mid/late C19 roof has C17 moulded cornice with angels holding shields
of arms at intervals. Fittings: late C18 communion rail, pulpit with tester, box
pews, and steps to gallery with hat-pegs and splat balusters at west end.
Memorials: C18 and C19 wall tablets. Chancel has small white marble inscription
set in black marble draped surround to Winnifred Thompson, d.1708/9, and
memorial to Susanna Brome, d.1717: heraldic achievement over draped and
garlanded surround to inscription with palm sprays at base.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.86; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp.396-7;
National Monuments Record).
Listing NGR: SP4563101073
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings