This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5857 / 51°35'8"N
Longitude: -1.5008 / 1°30'2"W
OS Eastings: 434684
OS Northings: 187541
OS Grid: SU346875
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y2.KCT
Mapcode Global: VHC10.XDZS
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Rood
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048702
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250775
Location: Sparsholt, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Sparsholt
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
SPARSHOLT SPARSHOLT STREET
SU38NW (East side)
6/139 Church of the Holy Rood.
Church. Late C12 nave, late C13 tower, early C14 chancel and transept, late C18
porch. Coursed sarsen and chalk rubble to chancel, otherwise all rendered over
in roughcast; stone slate and tiled roof except wood shingles to tower.
Original cruciform plan with west tower, but north transept demolished c.1785.
Norman, Decorated and Perpendicular styles. Late C19 4-light reticulated-style
east window, three 2-light early C14 windows to south wall of chancel; 2
identical windows to north wall which has late C15 vestry with 2-light late C15
window with arched heads and one late C19 pointed door.Decorated to parapet.
South transept has 4-light reticulated-style early C14 south window; one
2-light early C14 window to each side wall, although west window has two
2-light early C14 windows, and one 3-light late C15 window with arched heads
over late C18 porch; late C12 doorway, hood mould over round arch, water- leaf
and stiff-leaf capitals to engaged columns; late C12 double doors with original
crescent hinges. South wall of nave has two 2-light early C14 windows, and one
3-light late C15 window with arched heads over early C13 blocked door which has
round arch and stiff-leaf capitals to engaged columns. Interior: Very fine
decorated piscina and sedilia, with ogee cusped heads and ballflower ornament;
adjoins reclining early C14 effigy in ogee headed and cusped tomb recess;
similar tomb recess in opposite wall; several C15 brasses in chancel floor;
late C19 benches and desks except two restored with C15 carved bench- ends and
one desk-end; original carved corbels to 4-bay C17 collar truss roof. Late C19
chancel screen in C13 chancel arch. C13 arch to south transept; C13 screen has
cinquefoiled arches and shaft rings to shafts much restored below; 3 C14 oak
effigies, removed from original position, 2 being under similar tomb recesses
to those in the chancel; piscina in wall; chalk aedicule, coloured, to John
Pleydell, 1591, and his wife, has oval tablet flanked by Ionic columns and
strapwork carving; 2-bay roof, tie beam with crossed braces, probably late C18.
Nave has late C19 pulpit, lectern and benches; ledger stones to aisle floor;
C14 stained glass, including some C13 grisaille glass, in middle windows of
south and north walls; 5-bay late C15 roof, arch-braced to carved corbels. The
carved oak effigies are very rare, and represent Sir Robert Archard (1353) and
his wives Joan (13361 and Agnes (1356). It is thought that Sir Robert was
responsible for the building of the chancel and transepts in the early C14.
Buildings of England, Berkshire, pp. 223-4.
Listing NGR: SU3468287546
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings