This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6252 / 51°37'30"N
Longitude: -1.5775 / 1°34'38"W
OS Eastings: 429346
OS Northings: 191903
OS Grid: SU293919
Mapcode National: GBR 5W8.40B
Mapcode Global: VHC0S.LDXZ
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250552
Location: Fernham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Fernham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Longcot with Fernham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. FERNHAM HIGH STREET
Church of St John
SU 29 SE 2/1
1861 by J H Hugall as recorded by Goodhart-Rendel. Squared and coursed rubble stone,
dressed stone quoins and copings with gabled stone tiled roofs. 3 bay nave, 2 bay
chancel, single w bellcote, S porch and N vestry. Early English details of 2 light
cusped windows with roundels above under pointed arches to the nave and plain cusped
lancets to the chancel. E window of 3 cusped lancets with quatrefoil and trefoils
above under pointed arch enclosed by a dripstone with uncut capitals. W front has
2 cusped lancets with quatrefoils above either side of a stepped buttress. S porch
with outer arch moulded and ending in tightly foliated capitals and inner of a single
moulded arch with uncut capitals.
Aisleless interior with open rafter roofs and a plainly moulded chancel arch on half
shafts with tightly foliated capitals.
1867 stained glassE window by Wailes and further stained glass in chancel S window
and nave S windows. Stone pulpit with coloured marble insets and octagonal font on
oloured marble piers both contemporary with the church.
St John's stands on an elevated site overlooking the village centre.
Listing NGR: SU2934691903
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings