This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7719 / 51°46'18"N
Longitude: -1.5368 / 1°32'12"W
OS Eastings: 432058
OS Northings: 208234
OS Grid: SP320082
Mapcode National: GBR 6VQ.VP5
Mapcode Global: VHC01.9QXK
Entry Name: Caswell House, Caswell Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 17 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048993
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252140
Location: Curbridge, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Curbridge
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Witney
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
15/67 Caswell House, Caswell
12/09/55 Farmhouse and attached
(Formerly listed as Caswell
House and Barns)
House, now two dwellings. c.1500, with C17 alterations, and early C19 range to
centre. Early C19 range of squared and coursed limestone; hipped Welsh slate
roof; brick end stacks. L-plan with late C15 wing extending to rear left. Early
C19 block of 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. Flat stone arches over plank
door with Gothic-style porch, tripartite sashes and first-floor 6-pane sashes.
Gable ends of late C15 wings flank front: each of 2-window range with early C19
sashes, and with hood moulds over hollow-chamfered pointed- and round-arched
late C15 lights. Short wing to right of 2 bays and of uncoursed limestone rubble
with gabled stone slate roof. Long wing to left of similar materials with ashlar
end stack: right side wall has 2- and 3-light leaded casements; early C19
6-panelled door with overlight, set in early C19 stone porch, enters C17
two-storey gabled porch which adjoins front range; and a C17/C18 outshut next to
C19 plank door set in C17 chamfered segmental-arched stone surround. Left side
wall of left wing: 2-storey projecting central bay with hipped roof has timber
lintel over doorway with late C16/C17 moulded stone jambs to left, and late C15
two-light hollow-chamfered round-arched window to right; to right is late C15
offset buttress, and one 4-light and 4 two-light similar late C15 windows.
Interior: roof of right wing not inspected. Left wing has chamfered ground-floor
beams, and inserted moulded beam in first-floor room to front; early C17
panelling in closet over porch; late C15 three-light hollow-chamfered
stone-mullioned window in right side wall; 7-bay roof has late C15 scissor truss
of heavy scantling to front, and collar trusses to rear, all with butt purlins
and arched windbraces. Subsidiary features: outbuilding to left of front has
late C15 stone wall with blocked 4-centred doorway and quatrefoil light.
Occupies a medieval moated site. The scissor truss is similar to that of c.1480
at The Old Rectory, Standlake (q.v.). In the early C17, Caswell Farm was the
mansion of Sir Francis Wenman who was a friend of Lucius Lord Falkland of Great
(J. Skelton, Antiquities of Oxfordshire, 1823, fol.12V; Buildings of England:
Listing NGR: SP3205808234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings