This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4351 / 55°26'6"N
Longitude: -1.7433 / 1°44'35"W
OS Eastings: 416339
OS Northings: 615723
OS Grid: NU163157
Mapcode National: GBR J58L.CG
Mapcode Global: WHC1C.6N36
Entry Name: Hulne Friary Summerhouse and Tower
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049118
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236400
Location: Denwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Denwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
DENWICK HULNE PARK
NU 11 NE
6/64 Hulne Friary:
Tower and summerhouse: Tower built 1488 by Sir Henry Percy, summerhouse
built and interior of tower remodelled 1778-9 by Robert Adam and 'Capability'
Brown for 1st Duke of Northumberland. Squared stone with flat leaded roofs.
Rectangular 2-storey summerhouse at north of friary west range, linked by
bridge to tower on west. Gothick style.
West elevation (to cloister): Summerhouse 2 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical.
Central arched door flanked by windows, under linked ogee hoodmoulds with
finials; broad 4-light window with intersecting tracery above. End bays have
2-light windows under square hoodmoulds, and quatrefoils containing marble
reliefs of Duke and Duchess. Corbelled-out parapet with irregular crenellations.
Left return 2 bays, with similar 2-light windows and central niche with cusped
canopy. Right return 3 bays, similar fenestration except for plainer central
niche. Rear shows half-glazed door on right, flanked by small windows with
large window over; second door on left beneath bridge to tower. All doorways
have applied Gothick panelling, all windows small-paned sashes with curved
base to upper leaf and intersecting glazing bars in head. Bridge to tower
has flat-pointed arch flanked by blank shields, with pointed window above
between cruciform loops; embattled parapet.
Tower 2 tall storeys (originally 3). Pointed doorway on north; chamfered
loops; large Gothick sashes on south and west at 1st floor level. Corbelled-
out embattled parapet with angle turrets, those on east linked to form chamber
with original canted oriel, with cinquefoil-headed lights and moulded parapet.
Interiors: Both ground and 1st floor rooms in the summerhouse have Gothick decor
with carved fireplaces, crocketed ogee doorcases, niches and cornices; dogleg
stair with stick balusters. High 1st-floor tower room with similar decoration;
fireplace with contemporary ironwork, wooden dado rail, cornice with Percy
crescents. Re-set in wall over fireplace is inscribed slab:
In the year of Crist Jhu MGCCC III VIII
This towr was bilded by Sir He Percy
The fourth Erle of Nortwberlad of gret hon and worth
That espoused Maud ye good lady full of vertue and bewt
Daughtr to Sir William Harbirt right noble and hardy
Erle of Pembrock whose soulis god save
And with his grace cosarve ye bilder of this towr
Tower retains original barrel-vaulted basement and mural stairs with shouldered
Listing NGR: NU1633215720
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings