This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9149 / 52°54'53"N
Longitude: 0.8892 / 0°53'21"E
OS Eastings: 594358
OS Northings: 339180
OS Grid: TF943391
Mapcode National: GBR S7R.9N2
Mapcode Global: WHLQR.MZNS
Entry Name: Barn to South East of Whey Curd Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 May 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049442
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223466
Location: Wighton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR23
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Wighton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wighton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 9439 WIGHTON
1122/19/190 Barn to South East of
Whey Curd Farmhouse
Field barn with attached yard wall and feed store dated 1803, with later alterations and additions of 1871. Built for William Coke of Holkham, in the style of William Wyatt, as part of Whey Curd Farm. Red brick with pantiled roof.
PLAN: formerly symmetrical complex, comprised of central, north-facing BARN, linked by a curved YARD WALL extending south-eastwards to a pavilion-like FEED STORE. A second YARD WALL, formerly linked to a matching store, extends to the south-west.
EXTERIORS: barn with double doorway to north wall with brick arched head to opening incorporating dated keystone of 1803. Blocked breather slits to each side of doorway, and dentilled eaves. Kneelers and plain finials to gables, that to east with owl hole and blocked breather, that to west with re-built apex. South wall with hipped roof to central porch, and formerly with flanking lean-to, now removed. Feed store with pyramidal roof, pitching hole at eaves level on east side, and doorway in north wall, formerly giving covered access to adjacent shelter sheds (now removed).
INTERIOR: barn roof of 7 bays, with lapped, dovetailed collars, and staggered butt purlins.
HISTORY: the architectural detail of this complex is typical of the work of Samuel Wyatt for the Holkham Estate, architect of the Great Barn at Holkham, who was working on the estate for Thomas Coke at this time. The symmetry of the original design was disrupted when the second feed store was demolished and replaced in 1871 by cattle sheds and shelter sheds. (These are now ruinous and are not included in this or any other list). Field barns were an essential part of late C18 improved arable farming methods on large and extensive farms. In them, the cereal crop could be processed, and the resultant straw recycled by the cattle housed adjacent to the field barn. It was therefore not necessary to cart the whole crop back to the main farm, nor to transport manure from the home farm out to the remotest parts of the holding.
Listing NGR: TF9435839180
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings