History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thorpe Market, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.869 / 52°52'8"N

Longitude: 1.3341 / 1°20'2"E

OS Eastings: 624496

OS Northings: 335381

OS Grid: TG244353

Mapcode National: GBR WDX.23Z

Mapcode Global: WHMSH.G4HV

Plus Code: 9F43V89M+JJ

Entry Name: Church of St. Margaret

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049786

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224727

Location: Thorpe Market, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Thorpe Market

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Thorpe Market St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Roughton

Description

TG 23 NW
3/65

THORPE MARKET
STATION ROAD
Church of St. Margaret

4.10.60

II*

Parish church. 1796 by Wood. Quaternary and Quarry flint and Lincolnshire Limestone. Slate roof with oversailing eaves on stone brackets. Rectangular in plan. West end has part-blind Y-tracery window with Y glazing bars; blind lancets beside. Encircled quatrefoil in gable now with bell and cover over it. Corner turrets of square knapped flint with stone caps. South elevation of five bays with pinnacled stone porches to the first and fifth bays; pointed archways; double leaved doors to church, each leaf of two panels with pointed heads; to side-walls of porches a blind lancet; flanking each porch a blind pointed niche. Three Y-tracery windows with Y glazing bars. To north a gabled vestry with rectangular window with leaded glazing; two gargoyles to the gable end and four quatrefoils enclosed in a lozenge all presumably from Medieval church; lean-to. Eastern elevation as west without the bell.

Interior. Slight Gothick screens across nave and between nave and chancel having glazed panels and iron lattice infill. Screen across nave records the rebuilding of the church by Lord Suffield 'at his own expense'. Royal arms of George III on the reverse. Coved ceiling with ribs and rose bosses; angel head corbels. Fine marble memorial to Sir Thomas Rant d.1671 with Ionic columns supporting broken pediment with achievement on brackets; drapery to apron. Similar tomb to Elizabeth Rant d.1697. Tomb to two infants by C. Regnard erected in 1796 by Lord Suffield having obelisk with cherub and urn; panel with shells to corners; foliage to apron. Tomb to Robert Britiffe d.1749 with shouldered and eared panel; swan pediment with achievement; cherubs to apron. C14 octagonal font with attached shafts supporting bowl having tracery with mouchettes.

Listing NGR: TG2449635381

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.