History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Malt Kilns Attached Brewery and Glaven Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Letheringsett with Glandford, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9072 / 52°54'26"N

Longitude: 1.0637 / 1°3'49"E

OS Eastings: 606125

OS Northings: 338816

OS Grid: TG061388

Mapcode National: GBR T99.RRW

Mapcode Global: WHLR1.96S2

Plus Code: 9F43W347+VF

Entry Name: Malt Kilns Attached Brewery and Glaven Cottage

Listing Date: 30 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049837

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224637

Location: Letheringsett with Glandford, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Letheringsett with Glandford

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Letheringsett St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in



6/100 Malt kilns, attached
Brewery and Glaven


Malt kilns and attached Brewery alongside River Glaven; Malt kilns c1800
for William Hardy 1770-1842, Brewery c1783 for William Hardy 1732-1811.
Glaven Cottage attached to south east of brewery, originally 1792 for
brewery clerk, renewed 1870 as brewer's cottage. Malt kilns to north
adjacent to road: gault brick with corrugated tiles, hipped roof with wide
eaves; battered walls with clasping pilasters of gault brick, 2 panels of
knapped flint to each of west and east facades, 3 panels to north, all
separated by gault brick pilasters. Clock of 1937 with a face on both east
and west returns, chiming bells to centre north. 2 wooden cowls each rising
from lead covered base and having a copper head. Interior: cast iron malting
floor, central kilns below with quarter vaulted surrounding passage.
Attached maltings formerly used as a brewery, now barn: flint with red brick
dressings, roof hipped to south, pantiles to west, corrugated tiles to east;
5 bays, 2 storeys; louvred openings, 5 to each floor of east facade, 4 to
each floor of west facade, large door to left of west facade. Small attached
2 storey building to left of door of no special interest. Leet under
southern bays for part of waters of River Glaven. Interior: 4 tier queen
post root with king posts from collars, first floor removed except to bay
1 where supported by 2 lines of low cast iron columns. Glaven Cottage
attached to Brewery at south east, dated 1870. Flint with brick dressings,
pantiles; 2 bays, double depth. Platband of broken flint between courses
of brick. Central axial stack of brick with cross in flint flushwork to
each side. Gabled brick porch to right with chamfered 4-centred brick arch
having date plaque, 1870, above. Casements with cast iron glazing bars
and gothic headed panes, square surrounds of chamfered brick, 2 of 2-lights
to first floor, one of 1 light to right of porch, one of 3 leaded lights
to left. Left return of two bays, platband as front and eaves courses in
gault brick, central quoined brick flush column; 2 2-light casements each
with iron gothic glazing bars and chamfered brick surrounds. Cozens-Hardy
double crest and motto in terracotta to gable.

Listing NGR: TG0612538816

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.