This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8406 / 52°50'26"N
Longitude: 1.2105 / 1°12'37"E
OS Eastings: 616322
OS Northings: 331836
OS Grid: TG163318
Mapcode National: GBR VCM.T0R
Mapcode Global: WHLR9.KVMQ
Plus Code: 9F43R6R6+65
Entry Name: Wolterton Hall
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224529
Location: Wolterton Hall, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Wickmere
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wickmere with Wolterton
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
Tagged with: Historic house museum
TG 13 SE
Country house. Circa 1726-1740 by Thomas Ripley for Horatio Walpole. Circa 1827-32 G.S. Repton for the third Earl of Orford. Brick and stone with slate roofs. Rectangular on plan with later additions. North entrance front of 3 stores, 7 bays. Centre 3 bays break forward under stone pediment with coat of arms in the tympanum. Sash windows with glazing bars. Ground floor has banded stone rustication; keystones to flat arches. Central door flanked by pilasters; stone platband. Main entrance formerly to first floor but stairs removed in early C19. Original entrance door, now a window, with attached Tuscan column to left and right, plain stone cornice and pediment. Shouldered and eared architraves and plain cornices to sashes. Sill band. Second floor sashes of 6 lights having shouldered and eared architraves. Plain stone cornice. 2 stone stacks. To left a 4 bay, 2 storey range of 1827-32 terminating in a one bay, 3 storey pavilion, designed by Philip Hardwick. Sash windows with glazing bars. Stone ground floor; keystones to window openings; stone platband. First floor windows have shouldered and eared architraves. Pavilion window has balustraded balcony and surround with segmental pediment over. Stone sill band. Pavilion has stone platband. Second floor 6 light sash has eared and shouldered architrave, keystone. Plain cornice: stone pediment. East front of 3 bays, 3 storeys, partly obscured by later wing. C20, open-fronted lean-to across face. Brick banded rustication to ground floor. Stone platband. Eared and shouldered architraves to first floor window with keystone; stone sill band. Second floor eared and shouldered architraves to 6-light sashes. Plain cornice. Balustraded parapet continues from south east corner about half the width of house probably added c1830. 2 stone stacks. South, garden front as north front with arcade with banded rustication and balustrade added c1830. Flight of stone steps with stone balusters to either side. First floor sashes altered to reach down to level of terrace above the arcade. Brick pediment with coat of arms over projecting centre 3 bays. Balustraded parapet. 2 stone stacks. West front as east but glazed central door to ground floor and side windows all having stone reveals. Above this a Venetian window with Ionic attached columns. Balustraded parapet. 2 stone stacks. Interior. Central domed stairwell the full height of house. Stone cantilevered staircase with console supports; wrought iron balustrade with lyre pattern; ramped handrail in banded mahogany. Marble hall formerly entrance hall has chimney piece flanked by consoles, overmantle with broken pediment; carved overdoors. Former front doorway has pediment on brackets. Ribbed ceiling. Other state rooms all with carved oversoors, dentil cornices. Some chimney pieces by Richard Fisher of Ripon c1735. Doors of American walnut given by Queen Caroline to the first Lord Walpole.
Country Life. July 18 and July 25, 1957.
Burke's and Savills: Guide to Country Houses: Volume III East Anglia. 1971.
Listing NGR: TG1632231836
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings