This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4721 / 52°28'19"N
Longitude: 1.2686 / 1°16'7"E
OS Eastings: 622098
OS Northings: 291041
OS Grid: TM220910
Mapcode National: GBR VJ4.X53
Mapcode Global: VHL8X.Y417
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226055
Location: Shelton and Hardwick, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR15
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Shelton and Hardwick
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Shelton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
5321 SHELTON LOW ROAD
Church of St Mary
TM 29 SW 9/1A 7.12.59
Circa 1487, built by Sir Ralph Shelton. Only the late C14 west tower and
Decorated west window of south aisle retain from the earlier church. The
late C15 church is red brick with blue brick diapering end stone dressings,
ashlar clerestory, and slate roofs. West tower is flint with later brick
parapet. Comprising nave and chancel in one, north and south aisles, south
porch and west tower.
Large Perpendicular aisle windows. Nine Perpendicular clerestory windows
on each side. Tall 3-light east window flanked by buttresses, with sacristy
beneath. Two storeyed south porch, with entrance with Shelton arms in spandrels
and tall niche above with canopy and single-light window each side, inside
fan-vaulting begun but not completed.
Interior: Four bay arcades plus smaller bays in chancel, the piers are
lozenge-shaped in section with shafts and wave and hollow mouldings, 4-centred
arches, panelled above arcade with niches over the piers. Rood stair turret
in north wall of north aisle. Base of early Cl6 screen. C15 and Cl6 glass
in tile aisle and east-windows. C16 bench ends with poppy-heads in choir,
chancel chair is made up of bench ends. Early C17 communion rail. Carved
Royal arms of William III. Octagonal font with 4 lions against the stem
and lions and angels bolting shields in alternate side panels of bowl. Monuments:
late Cl6 tombo-chests to Shelton family with shields. Monument to Sir Robert
Houghton 1623 with kneeling figures.
Listing NGR: TM2209891041
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings