This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5723 / 52°34'20"N
Longitude: 1.2873 / 1°17'14"E
OS Eastings: 622854
OS Northings: 302239
OS Grid: TG228022
Mapcode National: GBR VH0.N8F
Mapcode Global: WHMTT.RL5W
Entry Name: Church of St Remigius
Listing Date: 26 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050433
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227204
Location: Stoke Holy Cross, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Stoke Holy Cross
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Stoke Holy Cross Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
STOKE HOLY CROSS DUNSTON
TG 20 SW
4/66 Church of St. Remigius
Parish church. C13, altered C15, altered and restored 1898. Flint with ashlar
dressings and some brick. Nave and chancel rendered. Plain tile roofs. West
tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage unbuttressed west tower almost all C19.
Stone quoins mimic Anglo-Saxon work. 2-light Flowing west window. Cusped
ringing chamber window under square head. String course below 2-light cusped
belfry windows within brick surrounds. Crenellated parapet with square section
corner turrets and crocketed finials. Stair tower at north-east corner rises
to ringing chamber. Diagonal buttresses to nave east and west. Much restored
gabled south porch. North doorway. 2 C19 2-light Perpendicular nave windows
north and south. 2 lancets to chancel north and south. Diagonal east
buttresses and 3-light C19 east window. Interior. Tall tower arch with round
responds. C16 nave roof consisting of wall plate with ashlaring and arched
braces dropping on wall posts to corbels from butt purlins. Ridge piece.
Octagonal C15 font with 4 lions sejant against stem. Bowl panels alternate
between rosettes and symbols of 4 Evangelists. C19 arch braced chancel roof.
C15 chancel screen with Perpendicular tracery. Brass to Clare Talbot 1649
in Civil Costume with his 2 wives in shrounds flanking him. Inscription in
Listing NGR: TG2285402239
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings