History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Surlingham, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.6074 / 52°36'26"N

Longitude: 1.4041 / 1°24'14"E

OS Eastings: 630584

OS Northings: 306514

OS Grid: TG305065

Mapcode National: GBR WJ3.FTY

Mapcode Global: WHMTP.JQTF

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 November 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1050438

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227219

Location: Surlingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Surlingham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Surlingham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TG 30 NW
3/81 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Early C13, belfry stage to tower mid C15 (bequests dated 1458
and 1466). Alterations C18 when chancel rebuilt. Restorations 1840. South
porch 1859. Flint with ashlar dressings, some ashlar, some carstone and brick.
Slate roofs. West tower, nave north aisle and chancel. 3 stage circular tower
with additional belfry. Lancet west window. Blocked ringing chamber windows
under brick hoods. Octagonal belfry stage with 2-light cusped windows to
alternating facets. Gabled south porch with moulded entrance arch and single
side lights. 2 late C18 2-light Y tracery south nave windows. Brick built
chancel lit through a 3-light intersecting south window and a similar east
window. Against north chancel wall is a vestry constructed of re-used ashlar
blocks. One 2-light Y tracery east window. Sloping roof. North aisle has
2 brick buttresses and one lancet window. Lean-to outbuilding to east of
C18 brick north doorway. Lancet west aisle window. Interior. 3 bay north
arcade of circular piers on solid bases. Circular capitals support pointed
double chamfered arches. Timber west gallery on 2 cast iron columns. Circular
responds to chancel arch. The arch itself is C18 and 3-centred. Remains of
rood stairs to north. Boarded and plastered roofs. C15 octagonal font against
which are 4 lions sejant sitting on plinths. Bowl panels alternate between
relief carvings of 4 lions sejant and angels bearing shields. Under bowl are
8 angel heads. Fragments of medieval glass in north aisle east window which
is of 2 lights and looks into later vestry. Brass to John Alnwick 1460 in
chancel. Figure in Academical dress with inscription. Also in chancel a
chalice brass to Richard Louhawkys 1513. Inscription.

Listing NGR: TG3058406514

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.