History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cringleford Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Cringleford, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5995 / 52°35'58"N

Longitude: 1.2433 / 1°14'35"E

OS Eastings: 619736

OS Northings: 305135

OS Grid: TG197051

Mapcode National: GBR VGR.34F

Mapcode Global: WHMTM.2X9H

Entry Name: Cringleford Hall

Listing Date: 26 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1050564

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226893

Location: Cringleford, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR4

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Cringleford

Built-Up Area: Cringleford

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Cringleford St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


2/8 Cringleford Hall


House, adjacent to moated site, C16 with additions of C18 and C19; brick;
C16 build brick rendered, possibly over timber frame. Black glazed pantiles.
Irregular plan, C16 core of 3 bays with addition of lbay c1600 to east;
attached 3 bay cross wing to west probably of late.C17 encased c1850, all
of 2 storeys; tall single storeyed range of late C18 in angle to south.
Facade to north: C16 range to centre, rendered and colourwashed; brick crow
stepped gable to left with external stack shared by attached single bay;
jettied first floor; centre bay with gable and attached 2 storeyed flat roofed
canted bay of C18; ground floor with cross window having leaded lights and
pintle hinges to bay 1, similar opening but without leaded lights to centre
bay, C19 door to bay 3. First floor with 3-light casement to bay 1, fixed
window to canted bay having glazing bars forming a semi-circular head and
splaying to top angles, stair window to bay 3 of fixed light with glazing
bars and semi-circular head. Interior: very steep roof, staggered purlins,
no ridge piece; central doorway originally exterior but now within canted
bay, late C16, heavy ΒΌ moulded frame with nicked jewel stops; C18 openwell
stair, closed string with turned balusters, oak handrail, coved ceiling
to stairwell. Lower 2 storeyed single bay to left, c1600, with integral
lean-to to left (the remains of former wing) rendered and colourwashed;
rectangular opening to lean-to with C17 ovolo moulded wood mullions, garage
door to ground floor with 3-light casement above. Interior: chimney bay
to right with large stack; ground floor with 30cm floor tiles, lead water
pump dated F B (Frances Bates) 1794, 3 tie beams with lamb's tongue chamfer
stops; first floor with 4-centred arch to brick fireplace in chamfered brick,
L-shaped hinges, doorway between chimney bay and C16 core with heavy moulded
frame. West range: west front and right return encased in gault brick c1850,
hipped roof of black glazed pantiles, 3 bays 2 storeys; central doorway with
semicircular portico having 2 Tuscan columns and square pilasters, flat canopy
with C20 wrought iron balustrade; wide door with upper part glazed, glazing
bars; recessed tripartite sashes to ground floor with gauged brick segmental
arches; first floor with recessed sashes and glazing bars as to first floor
of central canted bay of C16 range to north; right return with openings as
to west facade. North return flush with C16 core, rendered and colourwashed,
hipped roof; 2 storeyed flat roofed canted bay with C18 sashes with glazing
bars and crown glass to ground floor, 2 blank openings and central sash
with glazing bars to first floor. Interior: C19 panelled doors; cellars
of late C17 brick, 3 tier butt purlin roof of old oak timbers having some
principals in pine, narrow rafters in pine at angles of hips; roof probably
refashioned and hipped c1850. Late C18 tall music room within angle of west
range and C16 core, red brick with bowed facade to south slightly forward,
black glazed pantiles conical to facade; brick dentil cornice; 3 tall
semi-circular headed sashes with glazing bars to ground. Interior: coved
ceiling, 2 semi-circular headed doorways to west range; central classical
fireplace to east in marble having reeded entablature. 2 tall semi-circular
headed recesses each side of central classical fireplace in marble with reeded
entablature; tall narrow mirrors between windows with upper panels opaque
with gilded lion's heads; C18 window pelmets with gilded oak leaf decoration.
Rear of C16 range: in red brick with central flush tripartite sash with
glazing bars to first floor; gabled attic dormer. Single bay to left
rendered and colourwashed, 3-light casement having pintle hinge to ground
floor, flush sash with glazing bars to first floor. Various C20 additions
of no special interest. The house was known as Hellesdon House in the C16;
from 1845-1959 it was the parsonage for Intwood and Keswick.

Listing NGR: TG1973605135

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.