This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7149 / 52°42'53"N
Longitude: 1.3876 / 1°23'15"E
OS Eastings: 628905
OS Northings: 318413
OS Grid: TG289184
Mapcode National: GBR WGQ.X6G
Mapcode Global: WHMT9.9100
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1050879
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228134
Location: Belaugh, Broadland, Norfolk, NR12
Civil Parish: Belaugh
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Belaugh St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 21 NE BELAUGH
4/1 Church of St. Peter.
Parish church. Fabric principally of C12 and early C14 with C15 west tower. Flint
with limestone dressings; blocks of iron-bound conglomerate in earlier work. Nave
and chancel under a continuous plain-tiled roof; lead roof over north aisle. West
tower, nave, chancel, south porch, north aisle. West tower has angle buttresses
with flushwork panels, terminating in pinnacles. Canted stair turret on south
side. Square traceried sound holes. 2-light Perpendicular bell openings.
Flushwork panels in tower parapets. South nave wall has 3-light transitional
Perpendicular/Decorated window and 2-light window of c.1300, with 'Y'-tracery.
Remains of two bays of blank arcading with flint quoins. North-east corner of
chancel contains quoins of conglomerate stone and north wall has blocked lancet
with heavy surround of conglomerate. Three north aisle windows in transitional
Perpendicular/Decorated style. South porch rendered over; traceried niche over
door in gable. Parapeted gable with flanking buttresses. Small single light
window in east wall. South doorway c.1300. Interior : North arcade of four bays,
early C14, with octagonal piers and double hollow-chamfered arches. Remains of
good C15 screen with twelve painted panels. Nave and chancel roofs of 1861 by
R. M. Phipson : arch-braced principals on corbels. Remains of rood stairs at
north-east corner of nave. North aisle roof C15, with roll-moulded principal
rafters and purlin with arch-braces on wall posts. Good C12 tub-font in blue-stone
with shallow blank arcading around bowl, on large central stem and four columns.
Pews, pulpit and lectern c.1875 by William Butterfield.
Listing NGR: TG2890518413
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings