This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5749 / 52°34'29"N
Longitude: 1.6929 / 1°41'34"E
OS Eastings: 650315
OS Northings: 303855
OS Grid: TG503038
Mapcode National: GBR YRH.GV5
Mapcode Global: WHNW4.ZJ9X
Plus Code: 9F43HMFV+W4
Entry Name: Church of St. Nicholas
Listing Date: 27 November 1954
Last Amended: 15 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051006
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227747
Location: Bradwell, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31
Civil Parish: Bradwell
Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Bradwell St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 50 SW
CHURCH WALK (north side)
Church of St. Nicholas
(Formerly listed under Church Lane)
Parish church. C12 west tower. Nave, aisles and chancel are C14. Major restoration 1875. 1889 porch rebuilt. 1907 a further restoration. Quaternary and Quarry flint and chert with Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar dressings and some brick. Plain tiles to nave and chancel, slate to aisle roofs. Four stage circular tower. Cusped western lancet. One western lancet to second stage. Brick lancets to ringing chamber and louvred lights to belfry. Plain parapet. Aisle west walls pierced by traceried roundels. Diagonal stepped west aisle buttresses, remainder are side buttresses. Gabled south porch. North doorway. Two aisle windows north and south, of two lights and C14 although much restored. Three-light aisle east windows of similar character. Three encircled quatrefoils comprise clerestory. In addition there is an eastern gable window to nave. Two two-light reticulated south chancel windows, the eastern one shortened. Priests' door. Diagonal eastern buttresses frame four-light reticulated and sub-reticulated east window. C19 vestry against north chancel, the side buttress removed to allow its construction.
Interior. Three bay arcade of four-lobed piers supporting double chamfered arches. Double chamfered tower arch and double hollow chamfered chancel arch. Clerestory windows sit behind square splays. Nave roof renewed: arched braces on wall posts drop to corbels. Octagonal C15 font. Lions crouch against stem and angels disport themselves under bowl. Bowl panels contain symbols of four Evangelists and four further angels. East end of both aisles have trefoiled piscinas. Chancel roof of 1875. Good C17 altar rails: thick irontwist balusters support rail upon which is carved a repeating frieze of griffins and cherubs riding sea dragons. Cusped sedilia and piscina. Plaster wall monument to William Vesey 1644. Within flat arched recess are free standing painted figures of William Vesey behind his two wives. Wives kneel at prayer. One son kneels at Vesey's right. Predella panel contains relief figures of four daughters and one reclining, presumably deceased, son. Plain plaster pilasters frame the whole composition.
Listing NGR: TG5031503855
Other nearby listed buildings