History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burgh Castle, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5861 / 52°35'9"N

Longitude: 1.6543 / 1°39'15"E

OS Eastings: 647640

OS Northings: 304973

OS Grid: TG476049

Mapcode National: GBR YR4.YWJ

Mapcode Global: WHNW4.D808

Plus Code: 9F43HMP3+CP

Entry Name: Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

Listing Date: 27 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1051008

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227752

Location: Burgh Castle, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Burgh Castle

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Burgh Castle St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Belton

Description

TG 40 SE
7/17

BURGH CASTLE
CHURCH ROAD (south side)
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

27.11.54

II*

Parish church. Late C11 west tower. Nave and chancel retain C13 character but remodelled C15. North aisle 1847. South porch 1857. Quaternary and Quarry flint and chert with Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar dressings and some brick. Partly rendered. Slate roofs. Circular three stage tower. Lancet west window. No ringing chamber windows but lancets to belfry with brick surrounds. Top of tower rebuilt in brick below crenellated parapet. Diagonal stepped western nave buttresses. Gabled porch with moulded entrance arch. Two two-light Perpendicular south nave windows flank a single lancet. Stepped buttresses to south flank. Lean-to north aisle pierced by two-light Perpendicular windows. Two three-light Perpendicular south chancel windows under square heads. North chancel partly obscured by gabled C19 vestry. Three-light Perpendicular east window. Diagonal stepped buttresses to east end.

Interior. Tall chamfered tower arch. Three bay north arcade of C14 style: tall plinths and piers formed of four lobes with hollows between. Wave moulded arches. Scissor braced nave roof with renewed timbers and decorated wall plate. Font reputed to be of 1387 but looks C15. Octagonal with four crouching lions against stem. Angels under bowl. Four lions and four shield-bearing angels alternate to bowl panels. Two high splayed windows over south door. Brick rood stairs, blocked at top. Wave, hollow and chamfered chancel arch with circular responds. Chancel has remains of one irregular wall arch to north and south, that to south interrupted to allow insertion of window. Bench sedilia and trefoiled piscina.

Listing NGR: TG4764004973

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.