This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6164 / 52°36'59"N
Longitude: 1.4688 / 1°28'7"E
OS Eastings: 634916
OS Northings: 307722
OS Grid: TG349077
Mapcode National: GBR XKB.S7G
Mapcode Global: WHMTQ.JHNJ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228518
Location: Strumpshaw, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Strumpshaw
Built-Up Area: Strumpshaw
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Strumpshaw and Hassingham with Buckenham
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 30 NW STRUMPSHAW NORWICH ROAD (south
25/9/62 Church of St. Peter.
Parish church, mainly of C14 and C15 with some C19 rebuilding. Flint with
limestone dressings; knapped and galleted flintwork on tower. Slate roofs,
continuous over nave and chancel. West tower, nave, chancel, north porch;
C15 west tower (bequests 1485-1487) with diagonal western buttresses with
flushwork panels. 3-light Perpendicular west window. 2-light bell openings.
Small cusped openings on south and west sides. Parapet of stepped battlements
with crocketted pinnacles. Polygonal stair turret on south side. Upper
section of tower arch and drip mould for earlier steeper roof line visible
on east face of tower. South door with moulded brick arch and drip plastered
over, doorway blocked in brick. Nave windows 2 and 3 light Perpendicular,
restored. Chancel has plain lancets and a 2-light 'Y' tracery window at south
east corner. Evidence of a blocked lancet in centre of south wall. C13
Priest's doorway with restored arch. 3-light east window with Perpendicular
tracery. North porch of flint with brick dressings, much restored C19; arch
and niche above in brick with double hollow chamfer. Tall narrow tower arch
now cut by later roof, said to date from 1817. Chancel roof also replaced:
king struts on collars, shallow pitch. Plastered ceiling over nave. Banner
stave locker adjoining north door. Rood loft stair at north east corner.
Good square headed screen, probably early C15 with panel tracery above
crocketted arches : four bays on each side of central arched opening. Much
original colour remains, the lower panels painted alternately red and green
and patterned with floral motifs. Evidence remains that the screen originally
had westward projections to flank nave altars, as at Ranworth (q.v.) In the
chancel south wall a stepped dropped cill sedilia and a good double piscina
with trefoiled heads and a small dragon carved in one of its stiff-leaf stops.
Shallow pointed arch low down in south wall of nave. Some notable wall
monuments : Catharine Nelson +1789; Matthew Barnes +1782 and Anne Barnes +1786;
Edward Smith +1812; Mary Redhead +1811; William Springall +1752, also some
good floor slabs. Octagonal font, C15, bowl carved with alternating roses
and shields, corbel heads supporting bowl with four seated lions against the
stem. Crocketted octagonal conical cover.
Listing NGR: TG3491607722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings