This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6371 / 52°38'13"N
Longitude: 1.4944 / 1°29'39"E
OS Eastings: 636538
OS Northings: 310110
OS Grid: TG365101
Mapcode National: GBR XK5.LN4
Mapcode Global: WHMTJ.XZT5
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228468
Location: Lingwood and Burlingham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Lingwood and Burlingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Burlingham St Andrew with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 31 SE BURLINGHAM NORTH BURLINGHAM
5/20 Church of St. Andrew.
Parish church. C14 and C15. Flint with limestone dressings. Slate roofs;
lead roof over aisle. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch, north aisle.
C15 west tower with staged diagonal buttresses. Plinth with flushwork panels
and some heraldic panels on north side. Flintwork on lower stage of tower
knapped and galletted with some limestone blocks. Square traceried sound
holes with canopied niche above that to the west. Large 2-light traceried
bell openings. Parapet embattled with flushwork and heraldic symbols in
panels. Corner pedestals for figures. South porch opening has re-set hood
mould, possibly Norman. Nave and chancel windows 3-light with Perpendicular
tracery. Low side window and priest's door in south wall of chancel. 3-light
reticulated east window. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows on north side
of nave. Decorated north door, now blocked. Much re-used material in north
wall. Square stone chimney surmounting buttress. Good C15 nave roof with
angels on hammer beams. Arch braced principal rafters and ridge; wall posts
on corbel heads; bosses at intersections. C15 north arcade of four bays :
four centred arches on octagonal piers. North aisle roof with roll moulded
and arch braced principals. C18 plastered ceiling to chancel with cornice.
Rood screen base dated 1536 with painted figures of saints in traceried panels;
upper section of screen restored and incorporating an angel which fell from
the nave roof early C20. Tower screen salvaged from Burlingham St. Peter
(q.v.) : one light divisions with crocketted ogee arches and panel tracery,
all C15. Flanking the doorway are two figures of angels bearing the keys
of St. Peter. Four-centred archway into north chapel from chancel; squint
arch to chancel, north side. On the chancel north wall, a monument to Gregory
Mileham + 1615, a slate tablet flanked by putti under a broken pediment.
Wall monuments on nave north wall to Ann Horth + 1797 and Martha Leman + 1803.
Tower contains monuments to the Burroughes family, notably James Birkin
Burroughes + November 30th 1803. Octagonal font, C14, with shields around
bowl and stem of four clustered shafts.
Listing NGR: TG3653810110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings