History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cranford, North Northamptonshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.3857 / 52°23'8"N

Longitude: -0.644 / 0°38'38"W

OS Eastings: 492386

OS Northings: 277271

OS Grid: SP923772

Mapcode National: GBR DXJ.D03

Mapcode Global: VHFNZ.S9FG

Plus Code: 9C4X99P4+7C

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 25 February 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052098

English Heritage Legacy ID: 230993

Location: Cranford, North Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: North Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Cranford

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Cranford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Tagged with: Church building Redundant church

Find accommodation in


1337-0/18/168 Church of St.Andrew
Parish church, now chapel of ease. Late C12 origin, tower late
C13, alterations and additions of C14, C15 and 1674,
restoration and north transept 1847. Coursed limestone rubble
(partly rendered to east) with a scattering of ironstone
ashlar dressings. Roofs not visible (probably of lead) West
tower, nave with north aisle, south porch and north transept,
chancel with north and south chapels. Tower of 2 stages: tall
lower stage has set-back buttresses, low, steeply-pointed west
doorway with finely- moulded shaped surround, lancet above amd
a set of tiny stair-lights to left. South side has lancet and
east side shows scar of earlier steeply- pitched nave roof.
Each side of bell-stage has a 2-light decorated window with
quatrefoil head, then 3 plain corbels (central one to south
replaced by clock) and a small lancet above. Castellated
parapet on moulded eaves. Castellated parapets also to,
chancel and porch, plain parapets to nave and chapels. South
side of nave shows signs of heightening for clerestory of 4
spherical triangles and has a bell-moulded string course, a
2-light Perpendicular square-headed window with head-stopped
hood-mould and a 3- light pointed window with intersecting
tracery either side of porch with continuously-moulded arched
entrance and flanking buttresses. South side of south chapel,
refaced with squared stone has doorway with depressed ogee
head and diaomond-shaped stone above dated 1674 and a
traceried 2-light window (perhaps originally of 4 lights) with
4-centred head. Row of C18 eaved headstones reset alongside
wall beneath. East end of chnacel has plinth, cill band and
3-light Perpendicular traceried window with hood mould. East
end of south chapel has a 2-light window with cusped lights,
hood-mould and cill band. East end of north chapel has a
3-light Perpendicular window. North side of north chapel has
buttress and 3-light window with 4-centred head and hood
mould. C19 transept has Perpendicular style details. North
aisle has a 3-light window (originally longer) with 4- centred
head, and a 2-light square-headed Perpendicular window with
moulded stones, resembling pieces of reset string course,
placed vertically either side. Buttress at west end. North
clerestory as south. Interior: late C12 3- bay north nave
arcade of round single-stepped arches carried on cylindrical
columns with plain round capitals. Richly-moulded C13 pointed
tower arch of 4 chamfered orders. Plainer C14 chancel arch of
2 chamfered orders on polygonal responds, the south one of
ironstone. Roof stair rises from north chapel but rood left
doorway is concealed by plaster. Heavily-restored nave roof
(probably only tie-beams are pre-C19) with king posts, tracery
and arch braces carried on corbels in the form of carved heads
of kings, bishops and (to west) knights. Other roofs either
restored or C19. Medieval piscina in north chapel and at east
end of nave. East window contains fragments of medieval and
C17 English and continental glass. North aisle containing
brasses to John Fossebrok, d.1418 and his wife (nurse to Henry
VI), and to John Fosbroke, d.1602 and his 2 wives. South
chapel contains inter alia elaborate wall monuments to Bernard
Walcot, d.1671 and Sir William Robinson d.1678/9 (with a bust
attributed to James Hardy) and C18 slate floor slabs with
inlaid curvilinear inscriptions. C19 pulpit contains reset C16
Flemish panels carved with Biblical scenes. Plain octagonal
font with C17 flat cover on probably C19 traceried shafts.
(V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, III: pp.188-9; Buildings of
England: Northamptonshire: p.167).

Listing NGR: SP9238677271

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.