This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5108 / 52°30'38"N
Longitude: -0.8307 / 0°49'50"W
OS Eastings: 479456
OS Northings: 290966
OS Grid: SP794909
Mapcode National: GBR CTD.DV7
Mapcode Global: VHDQV.K571
Plus Code: 9C4XG569+8P
Entry Name: The Old School House
Listing Date: 29 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 230862
Location: Ashley, Kettering, Northamptonshire, LE16
Civil Parish: Ashley
Built-Up Area: Ashley
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Ashley St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
ASHLEY MAIN STREET
No.9 (The Old School House)
School and attached masters house, now one dwelling. School 1858 and masters
house 1865 by Sir G.G. Scott for Rev. R. Pulteney. Limestone ashlar with slate
roof laid to diminishing courses. L-shape plan with the 2 arms linked only at
the inside corners. In C17 style. School of 2-window range of 2 pairs of 2-light
stone mullion windows under segmental arch recesses. Central gabled porch has 2
arch head doors with decorated roundel above. Decorative cast iron gutter.
Ashlar gable parpets and kneelers and ashlar stacks with cusped decoration to
copings. Gables to left and right have pairs of tall, 2-light, stone mullion
windows with transoms under blank painted arch heads with cusping, shafts and
foliated capitals. Inscription "schools" on rectangular plaque of each gable.
Masters house attached at right angles to right of school of 3-window ranged 2-
and 3-light stone mullion windows. Centre bay breaks forward to form gabled
porch and flanking first floor windows have small gables over. Central C19 plank
door has decorative strap hinges and moulded stone surround. Raised band between
floors. All windows have leaded diamond panes. Cast iron gutter and rainwater
heads. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers and ashlar stacks, similar to those of
school, at ends. Polygonal stair turret to rear. Interior of school has 2
moulded stone fireplaces by Sir G.G. Scott. Originally used as a Sunday School.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.931.
Listing NGR: SP7945690966
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings