This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9966 / 51°59'47"N
Longitude: -1.4322 / 1°25'56"W
OS Eastings: 439077
OS Northings: 233283
OS Grid: SP390332
Mapcode National: GBR 6S4.YHJ
Mapcode Global: VHBZ4.425Q
Entry Name: Church of Saint Giles
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052175
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361477
Location: Wigginton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Wigginton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wigginton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WIGGINTON MAIN STREET
11/115 Church of Saint Giles
Parish Church. C13: nave, north aisle, south aisle. C14 chancel. Late
C14/C15: west tower, porch, clerestory. 1870 restoration of chancel and south
aisle by William White. 1886 restoration of nave and north aisle by J.L.
Pearson. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Plain tile/lead roof. Chancel,
nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower, north west porch. Chancel has
2-light Curvilinear windows some with hood moulds and head stops. 2 western
most side windows have dropped sills. Blocked 2-centred arched doorway to
north side. North and south aisles: Mainly triplets of lancets; pointed arched
door to south side, 2-light Perpendicular windows to clerestory. West tower of
3 stages: 2-light Perpendicular windows to 1st stage and bell tower. String
courses to 1st and 2nd stages. Pointed arched doorway with chamfered jambs to
south. Sundial on south wall. 2 diagonal buttresses. Porch in unusual
position in angle between tower and north aisle. Clerestory and tower both
crenellated. Chancel and porch have stone copings and ridge tiles. Interior:
Chancel has piscina with ball flower decoration, stone seat with elaborate
crocketed ogee canopy to south west; tomb recesses to north and south walls.
Nave: 3-bay nave arcades have double chamfered arches. Round piers to north,
octagonal to south. Perpendicular nave and north aisle roofs have ornamental
bosses. Corbels to nave roof have carved head decoration. Steps to rood loft
to left of pulpit. Piscina to south wall of south aisle. Monuments: 2 early
C14 stone effigies in chancel. Recumbent knight on north side, a recumbent man
with two small female figures to south. Stained glass: 2 chancel north windows
have fragmentary C14 foliage designs in tracery lights. South window has C14
figures of a dragon and lion's face. East window by A.L. Moore 1909. Fittings:
2 Perpendicular bench ends in north aisle; C19 font with curious moulding.
(V.C.H. : Oxfordshire, Vol IX, pp.168-9; Buildings of England : Oxfordshire,
Listing NGR: SP3907233283
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings