History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Abbey

A Grade I Listed Building in Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6426 / 51°38'33"N

Longitude: -1.2749 / 1°16'29"W

OS Eastings: 450269

OS Northings: 194000

OS Grid: SU502940

Mapcode National: GBR 7YY.VX6

Mapcode Global: VHCY6.VZC6

Entry Name: The Abbey

Listing Date: 6 September 1952

Last Amended: 19 February 1988

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052729

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251409

Location: Sutton Courtenay, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Sutton Courtenay

Built-Up Area: Sutton Courtenay

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton Courtenay

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SU5094, SU5093 (East side)
7/93, 9/93. The Abbey
06/08/52 (Formerly listed as Nos.2
(The Abbey))


Rectory house, now religious education centre. Hall and solar range of c.1320;
rear range probably Cl6; south range probably early C17; with later alterations.
Stone uncoursed rubble plinth, with some brick; render, probably one stone
uncoursed rubble, with ashlar stone dressings; old plain-tile complex roof;
various brick stacks. Double-ended hall house plan with later additions forming
courtyard to rear. Garden front: 3-bay hall to centre with 2-storey,
cross-wings. C19 ribbed door to 2-centre arched doorway to right of hall range.
C19 three-light stone mullion windows to left and centre of hall range. 3-lioht
stone mullion windows to ground floor of cross wings, having cusped lights.
2-light stone mullion and transom windows with reticulated tracery heads to
first floor of cross-wings. Battlemented parapet to hall range. C19 bargeboards
to gable ends of cross-wings. Left return, to north: 2 storeys and attic;
6-window range. Plank door to centre with re-cut stone surround with shallow
segmental arch. Stone mullion and transom windows to right of centre and to
right, with cusped upper lights, having 2-light stone mullion window between
with cusped lights and hood mould. Stone 2-light mullion and transom window to
first floor right with ogee-topped lights. Wood tracery casements to rest of
fenestration, some to original openings with hood-moulds. Rear, to east: stone
coursed rubble to ground floor left and right; render probably on timber-framing
to ground floor centre and to first floor. 2-storey, 5-window central range;
double-height end to left; 2 storeys and attic cross-wing to right. 2-centred
archway to ground floor centre, to passage to courtyard. Irregular fenestration
of casements, except lancet to ground floor right of centre, and casement to
first floor centre with arch-topped light. First floor of central range is
jettied. Right return: roughcast, probably on stone rubble to left; roughcast,
probably on timber framing, to service rante to centre and right. Irregular
fenestration of casements, those to the service range have early C19 Tudor-style
wood casements with cusped or 2-centred lights. Rear of hall range, to
courtyard; C14 two-centred stone doorway with hood mould to left, having C19
glazed door. C19 stone mullion windows. Courtyard face of rear range: brick
plinth; render to ground floor, probably on timber-framing; large timber-framing
with tension braces to first floor centre, close-studded timber-framing to first
floor left, having roughcast infill. Interior: various C18 winder staircases,
some with panelled dadoes. Hall of 2 and a half bays has moulded jointed
base-cruck roof with crown-posts above; C19 dado panelling and fireplace. Ground
floor of north range has unmoulded cross-beams and joists, except for room at
end of hall, which has moulded cross beams. North range roof has 3 bays of
crown-post roof with octagonal posts, having damaged mouldings to top, bases not
visible. Butt-purlin roof to eastern part of north range. 2-centred stone
doorway at head of staircase at first floor of north range, possibly former door
to solar. Most fireplace surrounds are C19 and C20, probably blocking original
open fireplaces, Queen post roof, to south range and to rear range. History:
probably built by William le Breton. Ceiling of Solar attributed to Thomas
Bekynton, rector of Sutton until 1443, tutor to Henry VI and Bishop of Bath and
(Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p236-7; Victoria County History: VCH:
Berkshire; Vol 4)

Listing NGR: SU5026994000

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.