This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7287 / 51°43'43"N
Longitude: -1.424 / 1°25'26"W
OS Eastings: 439877
OS Northings: 203490
OS Grid: SP398034
Mapcode National: GBR 6WG.DT5
Mapcode Global: VHC09.8TJ4
Entry Name: The Old Rectory and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 17 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053147
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252342
Location: Standlake, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Standlake
Built-Up Area: Standlake
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Standlake
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STANDLAKE CHURCH END
SP3903 (East side)
23/258 The Old Rectory and attached
(Formerly listed as Rectory)
Rectory, now house. C13; remodelled and hall and parlour ranges built
c.1480-1500 for Dr. Richard Salter; extended to right and parlour wing
remodelled in 1661 for John Dale; altered c.1850 for Reverend Francis Tuckwell.
Coursed limestone rubble, rendered centre; gabled stone slate roof with C17
pyramidal finials; ridge stack of stone finished in brick; C17 stone lateral
stacks, with sundial to right. Hall and cross wing plan: C13 right chamber
block, late C15 hall and left parlour wing. 4-window range. Late C15 hood moulds
over C20 windows in 2-storey left gable. Timber lintels over 2-light leaded
casement, 8-pane sash and tripartite sash in 2-storey-and-attic right gable.
Central hall range of one storey and attic, 2-window range, has mid C19 outshut
to front with flat stone arches over mid C19 double doors and C20 three-light
casements: similar casements in gabled dormers. Right side wall has late C15
two-light round-headed window and cross window, and mid C17 one-bay extension.
Left side wall has hood moulds over mid C17 chamfered stone-mullioned windows of
2-, 3- and 4-lights, mid C17 stone lintel with Vitruvian scroll over blocked
door: rear of left wing, built c.1850, has reset C15 pointed moulded doorway and
lateral stack. Rear wall has sashes. Interior: C13 chamber block to right has
blocked oriel opening to rear and blocked first-floor solar doorway to right;
C13 coupled-rafter roof of very slight scantling with C13 common rafters of
poles; early C18 dog-leg with winders staircase with turned balusters; ground
floor room has C17 panelling from Magdalen College installed here c.1850. Hall
range: late C15 two-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned and round-headed
window in front wall; screens passage to right. 5-bay hall roof has 2 queen-post
trusses to right and one to left, and unusual scissor trusses to centre of
former open hall; roof has trenched through-purlins and windbraces. Ceiling
inserted in C17: mid C19 plasterwork on ground floor; mid C17 panelled cupboards
on first floor; room to left, remodelled c.1661, has timber-framed partition
walls and moulded stone fireplace with black and white chequer-work to inner
walls and faded painted panels to overmantle. Parlour range to left: two late
C15 trusses to front with cusped pinnacles and struts; other features are
c.1661, namely stop-chamfered beams with heart-shaped stops on ground floor,
open fireplace with stop-chamfered bressumer on ground floor and moulded stone
fireplace on first floor. Subsidiary features: L-shaped C18 limestone rubble
wall extends approximately 20 metres to right. History: the very rare and
complete C13 roof is of extremely small timbers which may reflect lost
vernacular traditions of non-permanent building with poles.
(Brigadier F.R.L. Goadby and Standlake Local History Society, Standlake House
Survey, 1983, No.56).
Listing NGR: SP3987703490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings