This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9504 / 51°57'1"N
Longitude: -1.5846 / 1°35'4"W
OS Eastings: 428645
OS Northings: 228067
OS Grid: SP286280
Mapcode National: GBR 5R6.N62
Mapcode Global: VHBZ7.H74P
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 15 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053310
English Heritage Legacy ID: 254071
Location: Salford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Salford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Compton, Chastleton, Cornwell, Little Rollright and Salford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
12/174 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12 and C14 origins largely rebuilt by G E Street in 1854-5. Roughly
coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; concrete tile roofs with stepped
coped verges. Nave; chancel; west tower; north aisle; south porch and north-east
vestry. Tower. Rebuilt by Street in 2 unequal stages with stepped chamfered
plinth and diagonal buttresses. Embattled parapet with 2 reused medieval
gargoyles on both north and south sides; pyramidal roof with brass weathercock.
Projecting staircase turret to north-east corner is lit by narrow chamfered
rectangular windows and a tiny reused trefoil-headed window to bottom. Belfry
has reused C14 two-light trefoil-headed windows with quatrefoils to apexes and
hoodmoulds on all sides, that to east cut by C20 clock. C19 lancet to first
stage on south and narrow lancet high up to first stage on north. Reused C14
window with reticulated tracery in 3 lights to first stage on west. Nave.
Buttressed in 2 bays with continuous moulded cill band. West bay has reused C15
two-light square-headed window with panel tracery, label and head-stops; similar
window in 4 lights to east bay. Repositioned late C13 gabled porch to west of
west window has stepped stone slab roof, cusped outer arch and transverse rib to
centre. Reset single-stepped C12 round-headed south doorway has original
hoodmould, nook-shafts and scalloped capitals. North aisle has reused C12
round-headed doorway to right with central Maltese cross to tympanum flanked by
a centaur to east east a lion to west; hoodmould with beast head-stops and
grooved imposts have scroll terminations. Three small paired C19 trefoil-headed
lancets to east and similar single-light window to west. Chancel: south side has
late C13 cusped lowside window totally renewed in C19 to west and C19 paired
trefoil-headed lancets to east. Pointed 3-light Decorated-style east window with
C19 cross to gable. North wall has single round-headed lancet, with head
replaced in C19. Lean-to vestry has 2-light window in east wall and pointed
doorway to north. Interior. Entirely C19 in appearance. North arcade in 3
pointed bays with circular piers, moulded plinths and capitals. Pointed chancel
and tower arches dying into responds also by Street. Arch-braced king-post roof
in 3 bays to nave with contemporary collar trusses between each truss. Lean-to
north aisle roof and scissor-braced roof to chancel also C19. Pointed doorways
to stair-case turret in tower and to vestry. Image bracket with heavily restored
canopy in east jamb of 4-light Perpendicular window. Fittings and furnishings
including nave benches, stone pulpit, brass lectern and altar rails, mainly C19.
Circular C12 font with recut octagonal base has intersecting round-headed
arcading (some decorated) to bowl. Late C19 stained glass in 4-light
Perpendicular window and in east window. Monuments. One C18 and several C19 wall
tablets and memorials in chancel and 2 rustic wall memorials to members of
Bolter family on north wall of aisle. These are dated 1640 and 1694 and have
square moulded inscription panels with carved segmental canopies to top. In 1848
the church was described as almost entirely Romanesque by the antiquarian J.H.
Parker but this is not confirmed by a Buckler drawing of 1821, which shows it to
be mostly Perpendicular in external appearance. The earthworks in the field to
the west (Scheduled Ancient Monument) are said to be associated with a former
(?) manor house and its garden.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p749; Bodleian Library, Oxford: MS. Top.
Oxon. a.68 No.441)
Listing NGR: SP2864528067
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings