This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9417 / 51°56'30"N
Longitude: -1.6078 / 1°36'28"W
OS Eastings: 427054
OS Northings: 227096
OS Grid: SP270270
Mapcode National: GBR 5RC.8B1
Mapcode Global: VHBZ7.2GVB
Entry Name: 2, 3, 4 and Former School
Listing Date: 15 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053316
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253978
Location: Cornwell, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Cornwell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Compton, Chastleton, Cornwell, Little Rollright and Salford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
15/85 Nos.2, 3 (former shop), 4 and
2 cottages, former shop, and school (school latterly village hall, now estate
office). Cottages possibly late C17, remodelled C19, shop and school mid-C19,
the whole (especially the shop and school) remodelled c.1939 by Clough Williams
Ellis for Mrs. Anthony Gillson of Cornwell Manor (q.v.). Roughly coursed
limestone rubble; stone slate roofs. Cottages both 2 storeys, shop and school
one storey. No.2 (east side) has late C19 and early C20 casements with wood
lintels, 3 directly below eaves and one to either side of boarded door with
horned glazing bar sash to far left. Rubblestone integral end stack by Clough
Williams Ellis to right. No.4 (north side) also has late C19 and early C20
casements (mostly leaded) with wood lintels, 3 to first floor and 5 to ground
floor, 4 to left and one to right of C20 glazed door with contemporary flat hood
to right of centre. First window to left of present door is in position of
former doorway (baffle-entry). Integral rubblestone end stack to left and ridge
stack to right of centre, both by Clough Williams Ellis. Lower outbuilding
attached to right gable end, formerly gabled, has hip-roofed extension. School
has small casement to left of central glazed door with stone slate hood and
cast-iron bow window (c.1939) to right. School attached to north has two 3-light
leaded latticed mullion windows with dripstones to east side, 3 tall fixed-light
windows to north apsidal projection and glazing bar sashes and doorway to square
hip-roofed projection on west. Curious Art-Deco style belfry/air-raid
siren/stack at junction with school has ball finials and Rococo scrolls.
Interior. No.4 only inspected. Has chamfered ceiling beams and joists to
ground-floor rooms but considerably altered c.1939 and later.
C20 flat-roofed addition in angle to rear of No 2 is not of special architectural interest.
Included for group value.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p557)
Listing NGR: SP2705427096
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings