This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9148 / 51°54'53"N
Longitude: -1.5896 / 1°35'22"W
OS Eastings: 428325
OS Northings: 224104
OS Grid: SP283241
Mapcode National: GBR 5RL.T3C
Mapcode Global: VHBZF.D4HH
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 27 August 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053342
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253943
Location: Churchill, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Churchill
Built-Up Area: Churchill
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Churchill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Church of All Saints
Parish church. 1826 by James Plowman for James Langston. Regularly coursed and dressed
limestone rubble; slate roofs with coped verges and embattled parapets. Nave and short
chancel with vestries in angle between; west tower closely modelled on that of Magdelen
College, Oxford, reduced by athird in size. Tower. In 6 stages with chamfered plinth
and moulded string courses and hexagonal angle buttresses. Pierced embattled parapet
with Perpendicular tracery patterns and a multitutde of carved grotesque heads to cornice
and band of blind quatrefoils below. Crocketed octagonal corner pinnacles and similar
square pinnacles to centre of each side with empty statue niches; steeped pilaster
buttresses beneath latter to belfry. This has tall 3-light Perpendicular - style of
windows with paned tracery, one to each side of pilaster buttress. Stone-louvred 2-light
windows also to second stage on south. Richly moulded pointed doorway to second stage
on north approached by prominent external staircase and similar but larger doorway
to west with clock above. Nave. Buttressed in 5 bays with crocketed pinnacles and
blind trefoil-headed panels to each buttress. Stepped chamfered plinth and moulded
cornice below parapet. South side has 3-light window with reticulated tracery to west
bay; other windows a mixture of late Decorated and Perpendicular panel travery also
in 3 lights; similar window of 2 lights to west wall, all windows with hoodmoulds.
North side similar except that window with reticulated tracery is in centre bay. Stone
cross to east gable. Chancel has moulded eaves cornice terminating in carved angels
to east end and stone cross to gable; 4-light Decorated-style east window has hoodmould
with head-stops. Flat-roofed vestries in angle with nave, both with single-light
Decorated-style windows in east wall and south with Tudor-arched doorway to south wall.
Interior: Lierne vault with central foliated boss and carved corbels to tower. Hammer-
beam roof in 5 bays based on that of the hall of Christ Church College, Oxford to wide
aisleless nave. Painted and panelled roof to chancel with gilding of 1884 by Clayton
and Bell. Raised choir with encaustic tiles projects into east bay of nave; 4-centred
chancel arch with panelled reveals and soffit. Moulded pointed doorway to vestry on
each side of chancel and cinquefoil-headed broad lancet in south wall. Nave benches
and choir stalls of 1826 have blind Gothic travery patterns. Octagonal font with panelled
sides and pedestal and stone pulpit with Decorated tracery panels. Stone reredos and
high altar with paitings to either side depicting the Apostles, the Crucifixion and
the Descent from the Cross by Clayton and Bell (1884). Stained glass in east window
commemorates James Langston (d.1863) and late C19/early C20 stained glass alternates
with clear glass in nave. Sconces to choir stalls and in sanctuary probably 1826.
Jacobean chest in north-east corner of nave and drum of 1826 barrel organ in tower.
Graded II* on account of tower which forms a prominent land-mark in the locality.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp544-5).
Listing NGR: SP2832524104
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings