This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6955 / 51°41'43"N
Longitude: -1.5901 / 1°35'24"W
OS Eastings: 428425
OS Northings: 199722
OS Grid: SU284997
Mapcode National: GBR 5V9.LSJ
Mapcode Global: VHC0D.DN72
Entry Name: Radcot Bridge House
Listing Date: 30 March 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053406
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253801
Location: Grafton and Radcot, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Grafton and Radcot
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GRAFTON AND RADCOT
11/50 Radcot Bridge House
Shown on O.S. map as Radcot Bridge Farm.
Farmhouse, now house. Mid-C17 extended 1726 (datestone) and C19. Uncoursed
limestone rubble; stone slate roofs. L-plan comprising main range of 2-cell
central baffle-entry plan with short rear range to right; main range extended by
one room to left in 1726 and rear range extended in C19. 2 storeys and gable-lit
attic. 3 windows on each floor, those to first floor directly below eaves, lower
left with wood lintel, centre and right with C17 dripstones; all early C19
three-light leaded casements, except for plain mid-C19 casement to lower left.
Nail-studded plank door under C20 gabled porch between centre and right windows
with faint suggestion of infilled doorway immediately to right. Chamfered narrow
rectangular opening to attic to right gable end and 2 infilled windows on first
floor. C20 brown brick ridge stacks with earlier dripstones immediately to right
of entrance and at junction with 1726 addition (formerly an end stack). C18
addition has integral end stack with dripstone and capping, heightened in brown
brick. C17 part of rear range has moulded rectangular window to ground floor
with wood casement and iron bars to outside. Full-length catslide outshut to
rear range in angle to rear. Interior. Left ground-floor room with date "1726"
inscribed in jamb of doorway to back wall has chamfered spine beam with flat
joists and stone inglenook fireplace with slightly cambered head. Nail-studded
plank door with cambered head. Nail-studded plank door with strap hinges to
above-mentioned doorway. Centre room has stone-flag floor, chamfered spine beam
and inglenook fireplace with wood lintel. Splayed window to back wall now
opening into outshut. Right room has reused richly moulded ceiling beam with
chamfer stops and sawn-off ends of cross and ring beams, probably removed before
being brought to its present location. Inglenook fireplace with chamfered jambs
and chamfered wood lintel has panelled door to right with H-hinges formerly
leading to winder staircase. Chamfered cross beams on first floor, now mainly
boxed. C19 addition to rear range is said to have been former coach house. There
are extensive earthworks, known as The Garrison, in the field to the south.
Listing NGR: SU2842599722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings