This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7998 / 51°47'59"N
Longitude: -1.5309 / 1°31'51"W
OS Eastings: 432442
OS Northings: 211345
OS Grid: SP324113
Mapcode National: GBR 6VJ.3RP
Mapcode Global: VHC01.F102
Entry Name: Minster Lovell Manor Ruins
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 21 August 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053431
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253667
Location: Minster Lovell, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Minster Lovell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Minster Lovell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
MINSTER LOVELL MANOR ROAD
SP3211 (South side)
19/108 Minster Lovell Manor Ruins
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Ruins of
Manor House ruins. Circa 1431-42 for William, Seventh Lord Lovell, incorporating
some earlier structures. Coursed squared stone and stone ashlar. The manor house
was built on a court yard plan, having a hall, solar and chapel range with a
kitchen and bake house cross-wing to the east; and north-west, and west
accommodation ranges. Most of the floor plan survives above ground level. Hall,
solar and chapel range: the entrance porch has a two-compartment quadripartite
vault with floriated roof bosses, the hall was lit by 2-light cusped windows to
the south, of which part of the traceried survives. On the north side of the
hall were apartments on the ground floor, with the chapel above. The window
openings of the ground floor rooms survive, the spandrels of the rere-arches
have quatrefoils. The kitchen and bake house wing survives as foundations
visible above ground level. The north-west range: the gable-end of this range
survives with a 2-light stone mullion and transom window, each light having a
cinquefoiled ogee head with quatrefoils in the angles of the cusping. West
range: at the south end of the west range is the remains of a 4-storey tower,
having an octagonal corner staircase turret. History: manor probably granted to
William Lupellus, the first Lovell, in c.1130. Manor built by William, seventh
Lord Lovell c.1431-42. Francis, ninth Lord Lovell, was one of Richard III's
chief courtiers, being Chamberlain of the Household and Chief Butler of England.
It is reputed that he did not die at the battle of Stoke (1487) but fled to
Minster Lovell where a skeleton was discovered in 1708 on opening an underground
vault. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, pp707-710; "Minster Lovell Hall", A.J.
Taylor, HBMCE, 1985)
Listing NGR: SP3244111342
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings