History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swinbrook and Widford, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8073 / 51°48'26"N

Longitude: -1.5955 / 1°35'43"W

OS Eastings: 427987

OS Northings: 212147

OS Grid: SP279121

Mapcode National: GBR 5SX.RFK

Mapcode Global: VHBZT.9TDX

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053441

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253687

Location: Swinbrook and Widford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Swinbrook and Widford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Asthall with Swinbrook and Widford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

13/128 Church of St. Mary

Church. C11 origins; C12 north aisle; probably C13 south aisle; tower c.1822;
C20 vestry and restoration. Uncoursed stone rubble; stone slate roofs, roof to
tower not visible. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay aisled nave and west tower. South side:
stone porch to left of aisle with 2-centre archway on corbels, and 2-centre
inner doorway having C20 plank door. Paired cusped lancets to centre of aisle.
2-light stone mullion window with hood mould to right of aisle. Blocked doorway
to right of centre. Paired cusped lancets to right return of aisle. Single-light
window to left of chancel. Blocked 3-light stone mullion window with cusped
lights and hood mould to right of chancel. 4 cusped windows to clerestory.
5-light Rectilinear-tracery window to east end of chancel. North side: C20
vestry with hood moulds to left of centre of aisle, and to right; that to right
has ogee-headed lights. 3-light stone mullion window with ogee-headed lights to
left of aisle. 4 cusped windows to clerestory. West end: blocked 2-centre-arched
doorway to centre. 2-light Reticulated-tracery window above. Tower carried on
projecting buttresses. 4-centre-arched openings to each face of tower.
Battlemented parapet. Interior: arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel.
Fettiplace monuments to chancel, those to left of c.1613 and 1686 each of 3
reclining figures on shelves with ornate round-arched surrounds, that to right
of 1743 by James Annis is a marble bust against drapery and cherubs with
broken-pediment surround. C15 choir stalls with misericords. 2-centre chancel
arch on Romanesque columns. Nave: C20 braced collar-truss roof. Nave arcades of
three 2-centre arches on Romanesque piers. C17 wood pulpit on C20 stone stepped
base. Fragments of medieval glass to south aisle window. C15 stone font.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, pp799-801)

Listing NGR: SP2798712147

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.