History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kencot Cottage with Attached Railings, Gate, Outbuildings and Pump

A Grade II Listed Building in Kencot, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7409 / 51°44'27"N

Longitude: -1.6324 / 1°37'56"W

OS Eastings: 425479

OS Northings: 204752

OS Grid: SP254047

Mapcode National: GBR 5TN.VGC

Mapcode Global: VHC05.NHDS

Entry Name: Kencot Cottage with Attached Railings, Gate, Outbuildings and Pump

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053504

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253534

Location: Kencot, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Kencot

Built-Up Area: Broadwell

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Kencot

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SP2404-2504 KENCOT

8/222 Kencot Cottage with attached
12/09/55 railings, gate, outbuildings
and pump
(Formerly listed as The

House, with attached pump, railings and outbuildings. House is C17-early C18 in
origin, altered C17. Rubble limestone, faced with roughcast, with stone slate
roof. Ridge chimneys to gables and to right of centre all rebuilt C20 in dressed
stone. Outshot plan with off-centre rear stair turret. 2 storeys and attic, 3
bays. C19 3-light wooden casements with horizontal glazing bars and wooden
lintels; 2 hipped roof dormers with similar 2-light casements. Between right
bays is a 6-panelled top-lit door in C20 rustic wooden porch. Rear stair turret
has hipped roof and tall window. Attached to front are early-mid C19 cast and
wrought iron railings on ashlar dwarf walls with chamfered coping. Railings have
spearhead finials, and main standard posts have scrolled acanthus finials.
Matching gate. Attached to north end of house is a range of outbuildings,
comprising former stable, coach house and small barn. Range is of various
C18-mid C19 builds. Left part is of slobbered limestone rubble with C20 concrete
tile roof, and has 2-light wooden casement and loft door at left end, stable
door, and C20 double doors to coach house. Barn to right, now part of Home Farm,
is of rubble stone banded with dressed stone and has Welsh slate roof. This has
blocked doorway, and dovecote with ledges in right gable end. Attached to front
wall of stable is a mid-late C19 cast iron water pump with handle and stone
trough. Pump has brass plaque inscribed with text from St. John and date 1897.

Listing NGR: SP2547904752

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.