This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7265 / 51°43'35"N
Longitude: -1.5431 / 1°32'35"W
OS Eastings: 431653
OS Northings: 203187
OS Grid: SP316031
Mapcode National: GBR 6W9.LPK
Mapcode Global: VHC07.6VKT
Entry Name: The Morris Clows Public House
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253394
Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Bampton
Built-Up Area: Bampton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP3003-3103 BAMPTON HIGH STREET
13/85 The Morris Clows Public House
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as New inn)
Public house. Mid C18, extended to left early C19, and refurbished C20. Coursed
rubble limestone with ashlar plinth, stone slate roof and rebuilt brick chimneys
flanking original bays. 2 storeys and attic. Original block of 2 bays has C20
3-light leaded casements with wooden lintels, the lower windows transomed, the
upper right window with old cast iron opening light to centre. Matching 2-light
casement to ground floor centre in blocked doorway, with blocked window above.
Gabled eaves-line dormer to right bay, also with C20 3-light leaded casement.
Central C20 inn sign. To left is an early C19 2-bay extension with 3-pane sashes
to first floor, C20 tilting casement to altered ground floor, and C20 double
doors to right with flat hood on wooden brackets. Left gable end has blocked
first floor opening with cambered head, and loft door to attic. Range of former
service buildings attached to rear. Interior retains fireplace with
stop-chamfered wooden lintel at left end of C18 part.
Listing NGR: SP3165303187
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings