This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6209 / 52°37'15"N
Longitude: -2.2796 / 2°16'46"W
OS Eastings: 381167
OS Northings: 302601
OS Grid: SJ811026
Mapcode National: GBR 07J.LHW
Mapcode Global: WH9DK.YDN4
Entry Name: Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 26 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053675
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255172
Location: Boningale, Shropshire, WV7
Civil Parish: Boningale
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Boningale St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 80 SW BONINGALE C.P. CHURCH LANE
- Church of St. Chad
Parish Church. C12 nave and chancel, C16 vestry, south aisle 1861,
C20 timber belfry to spirelet, C20 west porch. Coursed sandstone rubble
walls, ashlar to aisle, plain tiled roofs, oak shingles to belfry.
Nave has 2 paired cusped lancet windows (1864) and one small narrow
round headed window on North side and a single cusped C19 lancet in
West wall; South aisle also has cusped lancets, 2 pairs on South wall
and single lights in East and West walls. Chancel; East window C14,
2 lights with cusped quatrefoil above, small narrow round headed window
on North side partially cut and blocked by vestry, windows on South
are flat headed, that to East with 2 trefoiled lights and that to West
single lit under a trefoiled head; in between is a narrow round headed
door, blocked internally; the chamfered string course on the North wall
incorporates the small blocked window and is also preserved inside the
vestry; inscription on the East wall commemorates the raising of the
cross on the East gable to mark Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1887.
Vestry is flat roofed with 2 square headed late Perpendicular windows.
Broached spirelet with copper weathercock over timber belfry at West
end of nave, West porch timber on sandstone walls with overhanging
tiled roof, single chamfered West door with pointed hoodmould, 1861.
Interior. South aisle aracade of 2 1/2 bays, first column from East with
crocket capital and foliated spurs; late C15/early C16 flat pitched
panelled roofs with bosses to nave and chancel, 2 winged angels to wall
plate in nave, floor inserted for ringing chamber at West end; chancel
arch probably of 1861 but using some earlier masonry. Late C16/early
C17 Communion table, C17 pulpit, C19 font, benches in South aisle
incorporate C17 panelling; 2 lavishly ornamented free standing mid C19
brass candelabra, originally belonging to the church of Choisy-le-Roi,
France, close by the chancel arch. In the medieval period Boningale
was a dependent chapelry to Stockton. Cranage, Vol.I, p.4.
Listing NGR: SJ8116702601
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings