This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.557 / 52°33'25"N
Longitude: -2.3872 / 2°23'13"W
OS Eastings: 373844
OS Northings: 295534
OS Grid: SO738955
Mapcode National: GBR 084.P86
Mapcode Global: WH9DQ.9ZGL
Entry Name: Rindleford Mill
Listing Date: 8 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255075
Location: Worfield, Shropshire, WV15
Civil Parish: Worfield
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Worfield
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
The following building shall be included:
5357 WORFIELD RINDLEFORD
SO 79 NW 15/79 Rindleford Mill
Watermill. Mid C19 with C18 origins. Buff brown brick with sandstone in part and
plain-tile twin-span roof. 4 storeys. 2-window range to front, 4-window to rear,
of 3-light, mainly fixed, windows under segmental brick arches. Centre of front
has double height single doorway and projecting wooden hoist gantry on top floor
partly within central gable. Further opening to far right on ground floor. Left
half front and up to 2nd storey height is of sandstone marking the extent of the
C18 structure. This walling continues round to the left end where there are also
various windows including one in each gable, and two adjoining 2-storey extensions,
that to right with brick lateral stack. Doorways to ground and first floors. Right
end has similar fenestration and an extension in poor condition housing a large
cast-iron, wood and metal sheet undershot waterwheel approximately 15' in diameter
and 7' wide. Interior: chamfered spine beams to ground floor in C18 part but this
altered probably in 1846, date on beam (also John ,....), which may be date of rest.
Most of machinery has gone but the bedstones of 2 pairs of millstones remain
together with a third pair within an iron cover inscribed 'Kay and Hilton,
Liverpool' with some remains of hoists and chutes. Mid C19 cast-iron spiral stair-
case. Bolted king post roofs. History: originally a fulling mill in the medieval
period and used in early C18 as an oil mill, the present structure was a flour mill
and also from end of C19 was used to pump water from a well to a reservoir through
belting from a pulley on the wheel spindle. In 1936 it was estimated that 30,000
gallons daily were being pumped up to Bromley reservoir.
(D H Robinson; The Wandering Worfe; 1982; p 12, 13, 15, 116-117).
Listing NGR: SO7384495534
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings