This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4849 / 52°29'5"N
Longitude: -2.471 / 2°28'15"W
OS Eastings: 368112
OS Northings: 287542
OS Grid: SO681875
Mapcode National: GBR BX.JDF0
Mapcode Global: VH83P.4S1Z
Entry Name: Church of St John Baptist
Listing Date: 1 March 1970
Last Amended: 1 February 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053833
English Heritage Legacy ID: 254740
Location: Middleton Scriven, Shropshire, WV16
Civil Parish: Middleton Scriven
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Middleton Scriven
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
823/27/4 MIDDLETON SCRIVEN
01-MAR-70 CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST
Parish church of 1845-46 with contemporary glass by David Evans and William Wailes.
MATERIALS: Coursed grey sandstone with freestone dressings, and tile roofs.
PLAN: Nave with lower and narrower chancel, south porch and west bellcote.
EXTERIOR: A simple Early-English style parish church with three lancets in the nave south and north walls and large lancet with hood mould in the west wall, which has clasping buttresses. The south doorway, and a blocked or blind north doorway, both have continuous chamfer. The south door is studded and has strap hinges. The porch has prominent barge boards with blind quatrefoils. The gabled bellcote has two bells in lancet openings. Chancel windows are cusped and have hood moulds with head stops: single-light windows are in the south and north walls, and the two-light east window has Y-tracery.
INTERIOR: The nave has a four-bay, the chancel a two-bay, collar-beam roof with small arched braces. The narrow chancel arch has an outer continuous chamfer and inner order on round responds with moulded capitals. Walls are plastered, but the nave is ashlar below a string course. Nave and chancel have red and black floor tiles, where visible under the carpet, and sanctuary tiles incorporate Agnus Dei and Evangelists in lozenges.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The font is elaborate imitation Norman. The base has chevron and cable mouldings, the round stem twisted roll mouldings below another cable moulding, and four main figurative scenes in semi-circular frames surround the basin. The pulpit is Elizabethan in style, polygonal with Tudor-Gothic panelling. Pews of 1847 have plain ends with moulded edges. The choir stalls have plain ends with finials. The arcaded wooden communion rail is probably also 1847. Chancel windows are by David Evans, of patterns with foliage and including in the east window scenes of Christ carrying the cross and the Ascension. The strikingly colourful west window, by William Wailes, dated 1845, shows St John the Baptist. Three other nave windows have pale colours, and are attributed to Burlison & Grylls: Dorcas and Good Shepherd (both post 1918) and Christ blessing children (post 1930).
HISTORY: Built in 1845-46 at the expense of Dr Thomas Rowley, headmaster of Bridgnorth Grammar School.
Newman, J., and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Shropshire (2006), 403-4.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St John the Baptist, Middleton Scriven, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is a well-preserved mid C19 Gothic-revival church that has been altered little since that time.
* It contains fixtures and fittings of interest, including good-quality glass by William Wailes and an elaborate Norman-style font.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings