This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5478 / 52°32'52"N
Longitude: -2.2964 / 2°17'46"W
OS Eastings: 379999
OS Northings: 294483
OS Grid: SO799944
Mapcode National: GBR 08G.87Z
Mapcode Global: VH911.47V5
Plus Code: 9C4VGPX3+4F
Entry Name: Ludstone Hall
Listing Date: 29 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053874
English Heritage Legacy ID: 254634
Location: Claverley, Shropshire, WV5
Civil Parish: Claverley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Claverley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 79 SE 23/46
SO 89 SW 24/46 29.11.51.
Splendid example of a Carolean manor house built by the Whitmore family
circa 1607. Surrounded by a moat and well-kept formal gardens. Square
on plan; red brick with stone dressings. The principal facade has 3 curvilinear
gables, the centre one being recessed and having a round bay carried up
2 storeys with balustraded parapet; stone mullioned and transomed windows,
some with old lattice glazing. Attic gable windows have ornamental pediments
with swags and side scroll panels. Tiled roof and tall Tudor chimneys
with coupled stacks. Interior: Plaster strapwork ceilings, overmantels
and panelling largely original or well restored; original staircase.
The place was well restored circa 1870. Approached by a short avenue
of clipped yews. Reference, Country Life, January 11th, 1952.
Listing NGR: SO7999994483
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings