History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chatsworth Estate Office and Village Institute

A Grade II* Listed Building in Edensor, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.2283 / 53°13'42"N

Longitude: -1.6268 / 1°37'36"W

OS Eastings: 425013

OS Northings: 370208

OS Grid: SK250702

Mapcode National: GBR 57N.PJM

Mapcode Global: WHCD7.Z3JX

Entry Name: Chatsworth Estate Office and Village Institute

Listing Date: 12 July 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054089

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81699

Location: Edensor, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Edensor

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Edensor St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SK 24/2569-24/2570
7/131 (North Side)
12.7.67 Chatsworth Estate
Office and Village


Hotel, now estate office and Village Institute. c1776-7,
attributed to Joseph Pickford. Enlarged 1912, probably by
Romaine-Walker. Red brick and render. Stone dressings. Hipped
and gabled Welsh slate roofs. Paired brick lateral stacks.
Stone plinth, plain first floor sill band, dentil cornice and
moulded cornice. One, two and three storeys. South elevation
has 1912 wing to left and symmetrical C18 part of 1-3-1 bays.
The outer bays advanced and pedimented, the centre part with an
attic storey. Large central ashlar porch on paired Tuscan Doric
columns with paired pilasters behind. Round-arched doorway with
stone reindeer heads in the spandrels and above. Paired
half-glazed doors and traceried fanlight. Flanked by glazing
bar sashes under wedge brick lintels. Three similar windows
above and three similar but smaller windows above again. Lower
pedimented wings have broad Venetian windows with moulded ashlar
heads and stepped keyblocks to the central lights, and glazing
bar sashes above, of three over three panes. Projecting
pavilion to left, rendered, with a parapet with, plain band and
moulded coping. Central round-arched doorway with stepped
keyblock. Flanked by stepped pilasters and balustraded parapet
above. Flanked in turn by plain oculi. To the right a
rainwater head dated 1912. Interior: Staircase through two
storeys. Open string with carved tread ends and two turned
balusters per tread. Built to serve the needs of wealthy
travellers and sightseers along the Fourth Duke of Devonshire's
new north-south road through the Park.

Listing NGR: SK2501370208

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.