This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.53 / 52°31'47"N
Longitude: -2.9652 / 2°57'54"W
OS Eastings: 334619
OS Northings: 292893
OS Grid: SO346928
Mapcode National: GBR B7.FQNG
Mapcode Global: VH75R.KN8W
Entry Name: Linley Hall
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054588
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256854
Location: More, Shropshire, SY9
Civil Parish: More
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: More
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 39 SW MORE C.P. LINLEY
6/9 Linley Hall
1 12 51
Country House. 1742-8. By Henry Joynes, surveyor of Kensington Palace.
Small regularly coursed limestone blocks and ashlar rusticated ground floor
to east front; slate hipped roofs, stone modillion eaves cornice all round,
carried up to pediments, lateral rubblestone stacks. The house is advanced
for its time, largely Palladian in style but still with traces of Vanbrugh's
influence, for whom Joynes had worked at Blenheim. 2 storeys over rustic;
east entrance front of 5 bays, slightly projecting to centre and rising to
pediment, twice recessed to flanks; middle bays have rusticated ashlar base
and a plain central door with Gibbs surround, Venetian window to piano nobile
and a keyed Diocletian window above; all the other windows are glazing bar
sashes, pedimented to second and fourth bays on piano nobile, remainder
(except those in first and fifth bays of top floor) with raised plastered
keystones; empty round-headed niches on piano nobile to first and fifth bays.
The south garden front also of 5 bays has a recessed central portion 3 bays
wide and projecting wings with pedimented breaks; central glazed door, approached
by straight flight of steps from terrace, has an Ionic porch with pulvinated
frieze and pediment, flanked by tall pedimented 18-paned sash windows in lugged
architraves, identical windows to wings on piano nobile; 6-paned sashes (also
in lugged architraves) with raised plastered keystones to upper floor.
West front. 3 bays with 3 window full height canted bay projection to centre,
surmounted by stone balustrade; central window on piano nobile again with
pediment, the remainder all also in lugged architraves with raised plastered
keystones. Plain north front of 5 bays, recessed to centre with slightly
projecting wings. Interior. Completed only in 1761. The piano nobile is
reached by an elegant staircase of 2 flights with a wrought iron balustrade
inserted c.1775-85; the chief rooms (all on the piano nobile) are the saloon,
whose principal features are a pair of niches in the wall opposite the windows,
a wide arched recess in the east wall, an enriched cornice and a fine mid
Cl8 fireplace (which is not original to the house); the boudoir (now library)
with its built-in shelving, enriched cornice and coved ceiling, and the drawing
room; this latter has a wide bow (externally the 3 window canted bay on the
west front) and is decorated with mid C19 French wallpaper, white and gold
with pale blue borders. Linley has been the principal home of the More family
since 1580. B.O.E. Pp. 168-9; Country Life Vol. 130 Sept. 7 1961, No.3366,
Pp. 502-5 and Sept. 14 1961, No.3367, Pp. 558-61.
Listing NGR: SO3461992893
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings