This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.782 / 52°46'55"N
Longitude: -2.9825 / 2°58'57"W
OS Eastings: 333825
OS Northings: 320943
OS Grid: SJ338209
Mapcode National: GBR 76.XVBF
Mapcode Global: WH8BB.5B0L
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 8 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054675
English Heritage Legacy ID: 256566
Location: Kinnerley, Shropshire, SY10
Civil Parish: Kinnerley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Kinnerley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 32 SW; 7/18
Church of St Mary
Parish church. West tower of c.1600, nave and chancel by Thomas Farnolls
Pritchard 1773-4; tower restored 1862 by Revd. E.W.O. Bridgeman; south
porch added 1889 during general restoration of 1887-90. Red sandstone
blocks; slate roofs with coped verges on carved stone kneelers, except
to porch which has machine tiles. Nave, apsidal chancel, west tower
and south porch.
Tower: in three stages with diagonal buttresses to north-
west and south-west angles. Embattled parapet, moulded string courses
and plinth; low pyramidal slate cap with brass weathercock. Restored
Perpendicular-style west window of four lights and narrow round-headed
windows to first and second stages on south. Two-light Decorated-
style windows of 1862 with hoodmoulds and head-stops to belfry.
Grotesques and gargoyles to corners of top string course also 1862. Nave
in four bays has three broad round-headed windows with boldly projecting keystones
on south. Gabled stone porch(1889) in west bay has angle buttresses
and pointed outer arch over segmental inner arch with contemporary recessed
pointed doorway. North side has three windows like those on south and
lunette window to west bay, placed slightly to left of infilled open-
pedimented doorway. Moulded eaves cornice on both sides. Apsidal
chancel has similar windows on north and south and moulded eaves cornice.
Late C19 lean-to boiler house in angle with nave on north.
King-post roof in five bays to nave. Stilted pointed tower arch with
roughly carved capitals is contemporary with tower. Pointed chancel
arch (1887-90) with unfinished tooling to corbelled responds. Late
C18 painted panelled wooden reredos in chancel has composite pilasters
with fluted entablature, rosettes to dosserets and egg and dart moulding
to cornice. Semi-circular pediment to centre with carving of cross
and letters "IHS" superscribed and urn finials to left and right.
Round-headed panels to centre have painted Ten Commandments; panels
to left and right with swags above have painted Creed and Lord's Prayer
respectively. Oak chest at west end of nave has fleur-de-lys pointed
ironwork and inscription "ED: (Edward Davids) CW: (Churchwardens) RF/
(Richard Flledge) 1681". Other fittings and furnishings late C19 or
later including stone pulpit of 1870. Stained glass in chancel windows
by Tower (1932). MONUMENTS. Chancel, north side: oval-shaped marble
medallion surmounted by carving of bishop's mitre with heads of 2 winged
cherubim beneath Latin inscription to John Bridgeman, Bishop of Chester:
erected by his grandson Sir John Bridgeman in 1719. Chancel, south
side: oval wall tablet to Sarah Evans (died 1783); various C18 and
C19 wall tablets to members of local families in nave. Benefactors'
board dated 1792 in tower (north side) with C19 continuation on south
side. B.o.E. pp. 161-2; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire,
Part 9 (1908) pp. 794-5; Colvin (1978), p. 663.
Listing NGR: SJ3382520943
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings