This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1899 / 52°11'23"N
Longitude: -1.1044 / 1°6'15"W
OS Eastings: 461320
OS Northings: 255007
OS Grid: SP613550
Mapcode National: GBR 9V7.PM5
Mapcode Global: VHCVS.T701
Plus Code: 9C4W5VQW+X6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054931
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360555
Location: Farthingstone, West Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
Civil Parish: Farthingstone
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Farthingstone St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
14/65 Church of St. Mary
Church. Late C13, restored 1852, 1872; and 1924-28 by Talbot Brown & Fisher.
Coursed squared ironstone, tile roofs. Chancel, vestry (north side), nave, north
nave chapel, south porch, west tower. East window has 3 lights, intersecting
tracery and hood-mould with label stops. On north side of chancel C19 vestry
flanked by simple 2-light geometrical windows. To south a 3-light window with
intersecting tracery, and hood mould with label stops, pointed arch priests
door, and single lancet window with hood-mould to left. On north side of nave at
east end a 2-bay chapel with lean-to roof, and 2-light leaded windows with
hood-moulds to north and east. A single lancet to west. C19 stone extension with
plank door in pointed arch with hood-mould. Arched door in middle of north side
of nave. South side of nave has a 3-light window left of porch, a two-light
window to far left, both Perpendicular, a 3-light window, to right of porch, and
all with hood-moulds. 3 2-light clerestory windows in rectangular splayed frames
above porch. South porch has 4-centred moulded arch , gable and plain parapet.
4-centred moulded arch south door within. Nave has chamfered plinth, a plain
coped parapet with pinnacles to south-west and north-west corners. West tower
has 3 stages, a pointed arch south door, a west window, strings at floor level,
and small rectangular windows to middle stage on north and south sides. Belfry
stage has 2-light traceried window; crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles.
Interior: chancel has 2-seat sedilia and piscina, C19 encaustic-tiled floor to
sanctuary and choir, C19 stone reredos and timber barrel-vault roof of 1924.
Renewed chancel arch. North nave chapel has ovolo and hallow-chamfered arch to
nave with octagonal pillar to west and corbel respond to east; small bracket to
right of east window with leaf carving. Renewed Queen-post roof to nave. Fine
set of mid C19 pews with carved poppyheads to nave and chancel. C19 stained
glass east window, other C20 stained glass. Early C19 chamber organ in north
have chapel, painted Royal Arms of George IV in tower. Early C18, early and late
C19 wall monuments; plain octagonal tub font.
Listing NGR: SP6132055007
Other nearby listed buildings