This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5873 / 52°35'14"N
Longitude: -3.0388 / 3°2'19"W
OS Eastings: 329718
OS Northings: 299342
OS Grid: SO297993
Mapcode National: GBR B4.B4JX
Mapcode Global: WH8C8.976B
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 14 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257393
Location: Chirbury with Brompton, Shropshire, SY15
Civil Parish: Chirbury with Brompton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Middleton-in-Chirbury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
CHIRBURY C.P. MIDDLETON
SO 29 NE
8/68 Church of Holy Trinity
Chapel of ease, now parish church. 1843 by Edward Haycock. Uncoursed
limestone and shale rubble with ashlar dressings; machine tile roofs have
coped verges on stone kneelers. Nave, chancel with polygonal apse,
transepts, south-west vestry and west porch; lancet style. Nave: in
2 bays; lancets with hoodmoulds and moulded string course carried around
rest of church on north; gabled west porch and bellcote to west gable.
Transepts: have paired lancets in north and south walls, former with
hoodmoulds; south transept with lean-to vestry abutting on west. Short
one-bay chancel has polygonal apse with lancets to easternmost sides,
all with hoodmoulds. Interior: multi-strutted collar and tie beam roof
in 5 bays to nave presumably by Haycock and wooden board in north transept
commemorates erection of chapel in 1843. Nearly all the fittings and
furnishings are the work of Revd. Waldegrave Brewster, vicar from 1872
to 1901. Between 1876 and 1884 he carved the capitals of the octagonal
red sandstone transept pillars with signs of the Zodiac (south) and
agricultural scenes (north), the corbels to the sanctuary arch (woman's
head on north and green man on south) and the stone corbel heads to
the sanctuary's wooden vaulting. He was also responsible for the mosaic
altar and dado panelling, font and the carved bench ends in the nave
and chancel, the former with a variety of animal, human and grotesque
heads. Also dating from his incumbency are the painted mural decoration,
the altar rail with its twisted iron supports and the wrought-iron candelabra
fixed to nave walls and benches. Stained glass in sanctuary by Kempe
and Tower (1915). The parish of Middleton was created in 1845 out of
parts of Chirbury and Church Stoke (Powys). B.O.E. p.199; D.H.S. Cranage,
The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905) p.551.
Listing NGR: SO2971899342
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings