This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6211 / 52°37'15"N
Longitude: -2.8435 / 2°50'36"W
OS Eastings: 342992
OS Northings: 302921
OS Grid: SJ429029
Mapcode National: GBR BD.7YDN
Mapcode Global: WH8C5.9C6Z
Entry Name: Church of St Edith
Listing Date: 13 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259322
Location: Church Pulverbatch, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Church Pulverbatch
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Church Pulverbatch
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 40 SW CHURCH PULVERBATCH C.P. CHURCH PULVERBATCH
8/21 Church of St Edith
Parish church. Medieval or earlier origins, re-built 1853 except for west
tower of 1773. Uncoursed conglomerate rubble with ashlar dressings, plain
tile roofs. Nave and chancel in one, west tower, north aisle and south
porch. Tower: Classical style; 3 unequal stages with chamfered rusticated
quoins, parapet with urns to corners above a corbelled moulded cornice; 4
round-headed windows with Y-tracery to top belfry, second stage has oculus
with 4 raised keystones above west window also with raised keystones (stone
slab beneath records names of rector and churchwardens responsible for building
of tower); west door in Gibbs surround, now blocked and with 3-light mullion
window inserted; stone clock with painted numerals to second stage on south
side probably also 1773, round-headed door below with raised keystone and
imposts, approached by 2 flights of stone steps from ground. Nave: 3 bays,
2-light Gothic style windows with gabled stone porch projecting from first
bay to west on south. Chancel: with pointed south door and highly cusped
lancet to east has a Gothic style east window of 3 stepped lights with cusped
trefoils and cinquefoils above. Gabled north aisle runs almost whole length
of nave and chancel; 2 widely spaced Gothic style windows on north with
pointed doorway to north-east corner, 2-light windows to east and west ends.
Interior: plain mid- to late C19 appearance; arch-braced roof in 5 bays,
west gallery lit by semi-circular window contemporary with tower, 3-bay north
arcade with pointed arches and circular piers; box pews and plain, probably
mid-C19 octagonal font. No monuments of note. The church is set in an
elevated circular graveyard, suggestive of an early origin, and commands
extensive views over the surrounding countryside. Graded II* on account
of west tower. B.o.E., p.100; D.H;s. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire,
Part 6 (1903), p.474.
Listing NGR: SJ4299202921
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings