This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7657 / 52°45'56"N
Longitude: -2.8446 / 2°50'40"W
OS Eastings: 343104
OS Northings: 319012
OS Grid: SJ431190
Mapcode National: GBR 7C.YZF5
Mapcode Global: WH8BD.8RN3
Entry Name: Grafton House
Listing Date: 27 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259152
Location: Pimhill, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Pimhill
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Fitz St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
BOMERE HEATH C.P. GRAFTON
SJ 41 NW
5/90 Grafton House
Farmhouse, now house. Early to mid-C17, enlarged in the early C18.
C19 addition at rear. Timber framed with red brick nogging, extended
in red brick. C20 asbestos slate roofs. Framing: small square panels
(5 from sole plate to wall plate) with long straight tension braces.
Two framed bays with L-plan C18 addition to south. Two storeys and gable-
lit attic. C18 south block: toothed brick eaves cornice and external
brick end stacks with toothed-brick caps. 2 bays; segmental-headed
glazing bar sashes with stone cills (refenestrated from 4 bays - see
blocked windows). C20 lean-to conservatory and one-storey brick block
to left. Right-hand gable end with ground-floor segmental-headed
boxed glazing bar sash to right, early C19 wooden cross window to first
floor with segmental relieving arch, and 2-light leaded wooden attic
casement. Left-hand gable end with first-floor imitation glazing bar
sash and 2-light attic casement. Two-storey wing at rear. East front
has first-floor leaded wooden cross window with segmental relieving arch
and C18 door with 6 raised and fielded panels (top 2 glazed), 2-part
leaded rectangular overlight, pegged oak frame with double-quirked beaded
corners, and flat hood on shaped brackets. Boarded door to west. C17
north block: jettied gables with ovolo-moulded and stopped tie-beams and
carved scrolled end brackets, trusses with 2 collars and queen struts,
and large central brick ridge stack consisting of 4 square shafts. Gable
ends with C20 two-light wooden attic casements and ground- and first-floor
3-light wooden casements. C20 French casements to west. C19 two-storey
brick wing to rear with external brick end stack. Interior: C17 wing
has pairs of chamfered ceiling beams with ogee stops,and open fireplace in
right-hand ground-floor room has chamfered wooden lintel with ogee stops.
Circa 1700 square-well oak staircase in central link block, rising to
attic, with closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail, square
newel posts with moulded caps and turned baluster-shaped foot newel.
Circa 1700 two-panelled ground-floor door with L-hinges. Reused C17
panelling in C19 rear wing, with carving and fluting, and inscribed
"TE. DOMINE.SPERAVI./TA VA", possibly removed from elsewhere in the house
or brought in, perhaps from a church.
Listing NGR: SJ4310419012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings