This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7288 / 52°43'43"N
Longitude: -2.7847 / 2°47'4"W
OS Eastings: 347106
OS Northings: 314864
OS Grid: SJ471148
Mapcode National: GBR BH.1144
Mapcode Global: WH8BM.6N7W
Entry Name: Stable Block Including Stable Bungalow and Adjoining Cart Shed and Granary Approximately 25 Metres to North East of Berwick House
Listing Date: 27 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055167
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259138
Location: Pimhill, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Pimhill
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
BOMERE HEATH C.P. BERWICK ROAD (west side)
SJ 41 SE
10/77 Stable block including Stable
- Bungalow and adjoining cart
shed and granary approx. 25
metres to north-east of Berwick
Stable block. Circa 1878, probably by Stevens of Birmingham. Red brick
with grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Hipped plain tile roofs. U-plan
around courtyard with coach house range to north-west of 2 storeys and attic,
low flanking wings of one storey and attic, and enclosing wall to south.
North-west range: chamfered quoins and moulded brick eaves cornice. Central
break with attic storey consisting of 3 round-arched glazing bar sashes with
architraves, imposts and keystones; flanking carved scrolls, fluted pilasters
on brackets supporting triangular pediment with clock in tympanum, and
pavilion roof topped by lead-covered balustrade with urns. External
brick end stacks to centre and ends, with pilasters to corners and moulded
cornices. 2:2:2 bays; glazing bar sashes with stone cills and gauged-
brick heads with triple keystones. 3 pairs of ground-floor segmental-
headed large boarded doors; small doors to left and right. Large covered
area in front with 3 gables supported on cast-iron posts. North-east and
south-west ranges have small-paned casements, segmental-headed boarded doors
with chamfered reveals, and small hipped dormers with small-paned centre-
hung casements. Brick ridge stacks. South end of each wing with stone
plinth, chamfered stone quoins, moulded brick eaves cornice and hipped
dormer; each of 2 bays, glazing bar sashes with moulded stone cills and
gauged-brick heads with keystones. End of left-hand wing is a small stable
cottage with a 7-bay elevation on to the stable yard. Forecourt wall with
stone coping; central pair of square piers with pyramidal stone caps, and
flanking doorways. Cart shed and granary adjoining to right; plinth,
quoins, moulded eaves cornice, hipped dormer and brick stack to rear. 2
glazing bar sashes to front. Small hipped dormer, large hipped dormer with
boarded loft door, and 2-bay cart-shed entrance to right-hand return front.
Interior of stables not inspected. Stevens of Birmingham altered and enlarged
Berwick House (q.v.) in 1878 when the former C18 stables became a domestic wing.
The 1878 stables are on the site of the C18 kitchen garden.
Listing NGR: SJ4710614864
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings