History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in Adderley, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9522 / 52°57'7"N

Longitude: -2.5059 / 2°30'21"W

OS Eastings: 366110

OS Northings: 339542

OS Grid: SJ661395

Mapcode National: GBR 7T.L3TH

Mapcode Global: WH9BX.G2Y3

Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter

Listing Date: 10 February 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055290

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260305

Location: Adderley, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Adderley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Adderley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SJ 63 NE

Church of Saint Peter


Parish church. North (Kilmorey) chapel of 1635-7 (restored 1822) and
west tower of 1712-13. The rest rebuilt in 1801, by Richard Baker.
Yellow/grey sandstone ashlar, with some red sandstone in tower. Slate
roofs. Cruciform plan with 3-bay nave, one-bay transepts and chancel
and west tower. Tower: 2 stages. Chamfered and moulded plinth,
corner giant Doric pilasters supporting sections of entablature, moulded
cornice and parapet with corner dies and moulded coping (finials missing
at time of survey - July 1986). Louvred chamfered Gothic belfry openings
with Y-tracery. First-stage round-arched west window with 2 hollow
chamfered round-arched lights, circular panel in tympanum, and hollow-
chamfered hoodmould with scrolls to cable-fluted keystone. Raised
datestone above window, inscribed with the date and the initials
of the churchwardens (mostly illegible at time of survey but
including the inscription: "15 / 17 WT CW 12 / M....."). Nave, chancel
and south transept: plinth, cill band with slightly chamfered top,
moulded cornice and blocking cone. Triangular-pedimented gabled ends.
2 small gabled finials on blocking course to north, marking the division
between nave, crossing and chancel. Cast-iron 3-light Gothic windows
with panelled tracery. South wall of transept, east and north walls
of chancel and north wall of crossing with full-height recessed blank
panels. Central south nave doorway with pair of doors (each with 3
beaded flush panels) and moulded surround. Square projection in angle
of chancel and south transept. North (Kilmorey) chapel: chamfered
plinth, coved parapet string, and battlemented parapet with moulded
coping and crocketed finials at corners (N.E. missing at time of survey)
and at apex of gable. North window with four-centered arch, 3 cinquefoil-
headed lights with mullions continuing up into head, moulded reveals
and diamond-leaded glazing. Segmental-headed east window of 2 cinquefoil-
headed lights with Y-tracery, reveals with cyma-recta moulding and diamond-
leaded lights. Nail-studded boarded west door with four-centered moulded
archway under square head, moulded step and flight of 4 steps with rounded
corners. Interior: divided at time of survey; the nave now serves
as the parish church and the rest of the building has been declared
redundant. Apsidal ends to chancel and south transept. Round tower
arch. Round-arched recess in south wall of chancel. Beaded flush dado
panelling, ramped up to apse in south transept. Moulded cornice to
flat ceiling. C12 stone font with circular base and bowl in the shape
of a cushion capital with carved foliage ornament, a cross pate, addorsed
volutes etc, and the inscription: "HIC MALE PRIMUS HOMO FRUITUR CUM
CONIUGE POMO". Late C17 wooden altar rails with moulded base, fluted
balusters with carved acanthus ornament to lower parts, and moulded
rail; doubled balusters at each end. Benches of c.1801 with beaded flush
back and end panels. Hexagonal wooden pulpit of c.1801 with 4 panels
to each side, fluted band to base, fret ornament to moulded cornice,
hexagonal stem with moulded base and top, and 3 steps. Screen to vestry
(beneath tower) dated 1908 with raised and fielded panelling, central 4-
panelled door and~moulded cornice. Segmental-headed C18 nail-studded
door to tower in vestry. 7-bay inlaid wooden altar, probably c.1900,
with three-quarter columns. Oak chancel screen of c.1908; 2:1:2 bays
with unfluted Corinthian columns on pedestals with entablature,
breaking forward in centre, crucifix above and pair of central wrought-
iron gates. Old oak iron-bound chest. Remains of C19 organ. South
doors with large L-hinges on inside. Commandment boards flanking tower
arch. Benefactors board in vestry "WILLIAM DUCKERS JOHN KEMP, CHURCH WARDENS
1826". Tablet with Creed and Lords Prayer above south door. Kilmorey
chapel: c.1637, Screen of 3:2:3 bays consisting of lower panels with
strapwork, Tuscan colonnettes supporting pierced round arches with central
pendants, openwork frieze above, and obelisk pinnacles against the wall
above flanking central carved coat of arms. 4-bay roof consisting
of moulded cambered tie-beams resting on wooden corbels and with carved
shields in centre, and sub-divided by moulded joists with carved bosses
at intersections. Panelling with strapwork ornament, carved frieze
and moulded cornice. Doorway to north-west; inner door incorporated
in panelling with carved inscription: " GOD SPAKE THESE WORDS AND SAYD
I AM THE LORD THY GOD" and triangular pediment above with phoenix.
Fireplace in west wall with C17 carved bolection surround and early
C19 cast-iron grate with reeded architrave Heraldic stained glass
in north window. Monuments: tablet to Sir Corbet Corbet (d.1823)
by John Carline and Son with mourning figure against background of drapery;
two Kilmorey tablets (1818 and 1824) by Bacon Jun. and S. Manning).
Further late C18 and early C19 tablets to members of the Kilmorey family
and others. Brasses (not noted at time of survey): bishop of c.1390;
Sir Robert Needham (d.1556) and Agnes (d.1560) his wife; John Podmore,
rector (d.1673). D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches
of Shropshire (part 8), pp. 662-6; B.o.E., p.53; Colvin, pp. 83-4
Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), pp.18-19;
Kerry Downes, English Baroque Architecture, London, p.109.

Listing NGR: SJ6611039542

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.