This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.805 / 52°48'18"N
Longitude: -2.6913 / 2°41'28"W
OS Eastings: 353490
OS Northings: 323276
OS Grid: SJ534232
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.W6RV
Mapcode Global: WH8B8.MRMG
Entry Name: Former Stable Block Adjoining Acton Reynald School to North East
Listing Date: 29 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055372
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260100
Location: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shawbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 5223-5323 SHAWBURY C.P. ACTON REYNALD
17/105 Former stable block
- adjoining Acton
Reynald School to
Stable block, now schoolbuildings. Dated 1840, possibly by E. Haycock.
Tooled grey sandstone ashlar with slate roofs. Square courtyard plan.
Neo-Tudor style. One and 2 storeys. Chamfered plinth, moulded string
courses, parapet with moulded coping, and parapeted gables with moulded
copings and small globe finials. East front: 2:3:2 bays; chamfered
stone-mullioned windows with cast-iron lattice casements. Central gatehouse:
3 bays with central gabled break consisting of half-octagonal piers
topped by carved horses' heads flanking large continuously-moulded Tudor
archway with pair of large 4-panelled doors and with large carved Corbet
coat of arms above. Tall central octagonal wooden cupola with lead-
sheathed base, louvred round-arched openings with imposts, and ogee
lead dome with globe finial and weathervane. Gable ends with first-
floor stepped mullioned and transomed windows and small integral stone
stacks. Flanking low ranges with pairs of gables and stepped mullioned
and transomed windows. South range: 9 windows. 3 gables alternating
with large fleurs-de-lys on the parapet. The west end of the north range
is canted with a gable. Interior of courtyard: gatehouse with shield
dated: "ACV/1840". One storey west range, supported on cast iron columns
to front. Formerly open but now enclosed.
Listing NGR: SJ5349023276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings